New Champions League format

The big issue with the new format is the co-efficient wild card for teams. This will have a huge impact on domestic leagues. How can a team finishing as low as 7th leap frog a team that finishes 5th,its a terrible idea.

In recent years I have felt less and less inclined to go to the group games - but this will push me over the edge.
No thanks from me! Leave it to the tourists.

So the wildcard is based on co-efficient.

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't co-efficient based on, well, actually playing in the competition? So if you get a wildcard, you then play the competition, boost your co-efficient, and then next year... have the best co-efficient of the non-qualifiers?

Doesn't this just mean the same teams will consistently get the wildcards until they qualify naturally anyway?

That doesn't feel like much of a "wild" card if it's simply an extension of 2 teams that are normally in the competition each year anyway.

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't co-efficient based on, well, actually playing in the competition? So if you get a wildcard, you then play the competition, boost your co-efficient, and then next year... have the best co-efficient of the non-qualifiers?

Doesn't this just mean the same teams will consistently get the wildcards until they qualify naturally anyway?

That doesn't feel like much of a "wild" card if it's simply an extension of 2 teams that are normally in the competition each year anyway.
Yeah, thats exactly what it means. So it means UEFA cronies don't have to worry about Arsenal, United, Liverpool making top 4 every year. They can guarantee those clubs this way.

This also benefits City too as we have the highest English coefficient and most likely that will remain the case in 2024 too. That doesn't make this idea any better of course.

Depends how they revamp it, they may give even more weight to past winners.

As it stands though it is pretty much teams already Europe. Probably means 5th and 6th in the premier league will nearly always get a spot.

3Rky.gif

Even more reason to win it ASAP before it becomes even more of a farce than it already is.

Yeah, thats exactly what it means. So it means UEFA cronies don't have to worry about Arsenal, United, Liverpool making top 4 every year. They can guarantee those clubs this way.

This also benefits City too as we have the highest English coefficient and most likely that will remain the case in 2024 too. That doesn't make this idea any better of course.
It is 2 teams in the whole of Europe, Arsenal wouldn't stand a chance and United would not qualify, only Liverpool as they won the trophy 2 years ago, however that won't be the case for long.

It is bollocks that we have more boring group games which the fans will get fleeced for. SD, CSKA and Porto for 6 games every year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.