#22 | Benjamin Mendy - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it just exposes his terrible positioning and body shape when defending much more

Your positioning as a defender is determined by your physical ability to cover space. Walker has an entirely different starting position to a slower right back because he can give the attacker 5-10 yards of space and he knows he'll make it up by the time the ball gets out there.

If you lose your pace from a massive knee injury, or 6 in Mendy's case, you have to completely relearn how and where to defend and he's simply never going to do that playing 1 game every 6 weeks.

When you look at Mendy defend, his real problem is that he doesn't know how tight he needs to get. The clip of James beating him down the wing is because he gives James too much space, panics and then overcommits so anyone could flick it past him.

He needs to go somewhere and play 40 games a season and he'll adapt.

Injury has ruined him unfortunately. I think there was a player there when we signed him and he could have gone on to be a quality full back, similar to Walker where his pace could get him out of trouble at times and his attacking ability and engine could have made him a real threat going forwards. Unfortunately he has lost it undoubtedly and isn't anywhere near our starting 11.

He's in a position that takes no prisoners. If he was defensively sound from Day 1 he could manage now his pace has gone. Even at Monaco he had room to improve defensively but he was still a very very good player. The squad seem to love him and he's played his part off the pitch at least, although some don't like that side of him either. One day he might rediscover his form, but I think City have to call it a day with him.

I do think fans should give him a break to some degree though. He's not good enough at the moment, quite clearly, but there are big reasons for it. Gundogan has had similar flack for being too slow or uncommitted in tackles. But the fact is, some players have injuries that put the fear into them. It's only this season that we've seen Gundogan rediscover that burst of pace and engine that was a hallmark of his qualities at Borussia Dortmund.

Interesting comment about Mendy in Sam Lee's latest article for The Athletic.

Benjamin Mendy, a peripheral figure on the pitch, has been key for morale with his relentless quest to have fun and he has impressed coaches by continuing to be happy and supportive even when left out of the team, wishing his mates good luck and offering hugs and advice.

I am not sure he will ever get back to a decent level due to the injuries he has had but he has made a bigger contribution to this years success than many realise.

Benjamin Mendy, a peripheral figure on the pitch, has been key for morale with his relentless quest to have fun and he has impressed coaches by continuing to be happy and supportive even when left out of the team, wishing his mates good luck and offering hugs and advice.

I am not sure he will ever get back to a decent level due to the injuries he has had but he has made a bigger contribution to this years success than many realise.
Made him an millionare that,nice work

Well that's enough for me. Give him a lifetime deal and the fourth statue.

Aston Villa apparently kept Micah around for a bit longer than planned for very similar reasons. I guess being a good guy does indeed pay! Ha.

jimmy bullard would have been cheaper. and he's homegrown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.