Seasoncard - 2021/22

Only just seen this and wasnt aware of mobile ticketing. Why havent the club notified us about this?
My mates ST box, as I thought it was, arrived 12 days ago, no sign of mine, anyone else?

You know that for certain? As far as I can see, there is a definite push from most football clubs to go mobile ticketing, so they need to drive (i.e force) punters into it, because if you advertise the fact that they can still do plastic cards, then there'll be lots who want one. Maybe City are seeing what sort of pushback happens before deciding if they can offer a plastic card solution. I think if they do, it will be combined with ID requirement and even possibly dedicated turnstiles, because the aim of this push seems to be to combat ticket touting, but I also think it could be linked to suggestions from security experts on the back of the arena bombing inquest, it just seems too much of a coincidence that the clubs are all making these changes now.
I have worked in the print industry for over 40 years both in technical support and currently sales. There are a limited number of large security printers who can actually produce these cards and the idea that the club could phone up say De La Rue next week and say ‘could you knock us out a few thousand cards in the next week or so’ is fanciful to say the least.

Previously the club would have a contract in place for 45,000 seasoncards each year and these would be already produced and they would be in the process of sending them out. They cannot just get a high street printer or Moonpig to do them.

Your other points might be valid but then it is incumbent on the club to say mobile ticketing or print at home are the only options and why that is. The awkward silence on plastic cards says to me that there won’t be any and they don’t know how to break it to the people who have been told they are getting one.

You would like to hope they know for certain what there plans are given the season starts in less than 4 weeks. How late can they leave the decision and make it clear to supporters what they're options are and giving them time to have it in place to prevent chaos on the first home game and probably subsequent ones too.

I also highly doubt its anything to do with the Manchester bomb enquiry as doubt season ticket holders names are ran through any terrorist database on a regular basis and its also far more likely any terrorist planning anything would just get a print at home ticket for an individual match anyway.

As I've said before I have no issue with times changing and new options being introduced but it needs to be done in a timely manner, phased in gradually and clear to everyone what is expected of them.
All we have right now from City is smoke and mirrors

I actually thought their main reason was the move to single use plastic comitment, that all clubs and most businesses have.

The issue is with the fact they said an alternative was available if scanning was not an option for you without a dedinitive answer to what thqt is.

People jave since contacted the club and ticket office staff have said a card will be sent out or not been clear what the other option is.

When I called I said can I have a card qnd was told yeah it can be arranged, all they had to say was can you print e-tickets as cards are not an alternative.

The clarity is not fully there.

I have worked in the print industry for over 40 years both in technical support and currently sales. There are a limited number of large security printers who can actually produce these cards and the idea that the club could phone up say De La Rue next week and say ‘could you knock us out a few thousand cards in the next week or so’ is fanciful to say the least.

Previously the club would have a contract in place for 45,000 seasoncards each year and these would be already produced and they would be in the process of sending them out. They cannot just get a high street printer or Moonpig to do them.

Your other points might be valid but then it is incumbent on the club to say mobile ticketing or print at home are the only options and why that is. The awkward silence on plastic cards says to me that there won’t be any and they don’t know how to break it to the people who have been told they are getting one.
Are the cards encoded at the security printer or are they writeable ad-hoc? I'm not au fait on how it works (even though I used to work for St Ives in the print industry), I mean I got a replacement card one year after my original stopped working, how was that one done? I'm thinking, if they want printed ones, that they could print them as normal but for those that requested, only encode them locally (similar to how hotel door keys are done) or just hand out encoded unprinted ones.

That’s the problem your not getting one. It looks as though some in supporter services have either lied or (most probable) wrongly assumed the alternative method was a physical card.
How do you know this? Have you received an official email from City saying that the alternative is not an actual card?
Personally until City send me an official email saying one way or another I’m reserving judgement. :-)

Are the cards encoded at the security printer or are they writeable ad-hoc? I'm not au fait on how it works (even though I used to work for St Ives in the print industry), I mean I got a replacement card one year after my original stopped working, how was that one done? I'm thinking, if they want printed ones, that they could print them as normal but for those that requested, only encode them locally (similar to how hotel door keys are done) or just hand out encoded unprinted ones.
I’m not sure either because this part of the industry doesn’t use the products I sell. I have sold into parts of St Ives in the past though :)

Even if they can be activated by the club there is no chance in my view that they could even get the cards printed before the season starts never mind activate them and then send them out. No security printer is going to drop everything to produce a small ad hoc order for a non contract customer.

I can’t see any way it could logistically happen even if they had final numbers today and then tried to start the process.

Last edited:
How do you know this? Have you received an official email from City saying that the alternative is not an actual card?
Personally until City send me an official email saying one way or another I’m reserving judgement. :-)
I've had a reply from City by email which says

'Plastic seasoncards are not being issued for this season unfortunately, but for those who cannot access tickets via an iPhone, Android or like device, we can ensure your tickets are available to Print at Home.'

I’m not sure either because this part of the industry doesn’t use the products I sell. I have sold into parts of St Ives in the past though :)

Even if they can be activated by the club there is no chance in my view that they could even get the cards printed before the season starts never mind activate them and then send them out. No security printer is going to drop everything to produce a small ad hoc order for a non contract customer.

I can’t see anyway it could logistically happen even if they had final numbers today and then tried to start the process.
Possibly activate last (but one) season's card? I think we'd be talking small qties of lost and discarded ones which I'm sure could be encoded onto blanks, I agree I doubt security printers would be involved now.

On a slightly sad unrelated note, every printing firm I worked for has now gone - I got out at the right time. St Ives were a global operation but technology caught up with them too it seems.

I've had a reply from City by email which says

'Plastic seasoncards are not being issued for this season unfortunately, but for those who cannot access tickets via an iPhone, Android or like device, we can ensure your tickets are available to Print at Home.'
Thanks @didsburyblu. I’ve only heard what I was told on the phone so maybe it’s time to contact them again! *philosophical shrug* ah well :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.