Liverpool (N) | Community Shield | Post-Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every game against the dippers they start fast and press the hell out of us. Obviously with our best centre half’s it’s easier to cope.
After the first 15 mins we then get at them (yesterday we missed about 5 clear passes to put Harland through) we then missed some chances as well
Second half then is the same
We had more chances and more on target than them.
I think we will be fine this season

That's a really good analysis of the match. A lot smarter than most of the broadcasting idiots. It's hard to argue with any of his broad points.
His analysis ignores the fact that Nunez is effectively replacing Mane and not Firmino - system wise, Mane was a central threat like Nunez and Firmino was the bit part alternative option for the last 2 seasons.

It’s very annoying how often we seem unable to beat these cunts.

Somehow we need to find a way to start beating them regularly. There have been far too many of these games where they come out on top. Although we‘ve won the title more times recently, it’s these one off games where they seem to prevail, and I don’t know why they beat us more than we beat them, when because of our consistency across a season we must actually be the better side.

Maybe because they start at us so fast, we need to injure one of their key players very early on in games, or wind them up and break up the games right from the off with fouls, diving and time-wasting.
In the last 8 PL games we have lost once

Somehow we need to find a way to start beating them regularly. There have been far too many of these games where they come out on top. Although we‘ve won the title more times recently, it’s these one off games where they seem to prevail, and I don’t know why they beat us more than we beat them, when because of our consistency across a season we must actually be the better side.

Maybe because they start at us so fast, we need to injure one of their key players very early on in games, or wind them up and break up the games right from the off with fouls, diving and time-wasting.
Yesterday was all down to match fitness, mentally and physically. They just looked that bit sharper than we did and they had an edge that we didn't have.
Don't worry about it, we'll be singing in May

Worrying thing for me is still every shot on target for the opposition seems to be a goal.
Last few games:
Dippers 4 shots on target, 3 goals.
Villa 2 shots on target, 2 goals
West Ham, 2 shots on target, 2 goals

We look anything but solid at the back

His analysis ignores the fact that Nunez is effectively replacing Mane and not Firmino - system wise, Mane was a central threat like Nunez and Firmino was the bit part alternative option for the last 2 seasons.
Perhaps but yesterday Nunez was making repeated runs between Diaz and Ake (especially when Ake was dragged left to cover for Cancelo). Even on one showing Nunez looks much better than Diaz or Jota. He may be able to cover any of the front three positions but he is a trheat in the centre with the sort of crosses LFC can deliver. Nunez doesn't look like a very technical player but he is a big disruptive presence.

Worrying thing for me is still every shot on target for the opposition seems to be a goal.
Last few games:
Dippers 4 shots on target, 3 goals.
Villa 2 shots on target, 2 goals
West Ham, 2 shots on target, 2 goals

We look anything but solid at the back

We seem to have had that issue for some time. Just have to limit the opposition chances and make sure we‘re more clinical, because we tend to create more than most. I’m sure once Erling is up to speed we’ll be smashing most teams.

Always the same pattern: dippers start at 150% and aggressive pressure hoping to score and defend the lead.

Although still quite rusty we nearly managed to not concede in the 1st 60 minutes. The goal was lazy defending vs a top side by our whole team and inviting top players to finish is just not acceptable.

After the hour mark dippers always nearly collapse and can't high press anymore. We had more space but didn't take or chances and lost on a stupid penalty (the rule is just nonsense, Pawson didn't have a choice) and on the break.

Next time we'll meet will be different I think.
So no CS then. Good game to watch though and great atmosphere.

Last edited:

We haven't lost to them at home for years and we have leathered them a few times in that period. We need to stop being too knee jerk about these games. I bet they would swap the amount of titles we have won at their expense. They can't get that right can they. Yesterday's game will have no baring on this season ahead, just like last year's Charity Shield match didn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.