Best and worst venues

journolud

I saw the National at the Mayfield Depot last night, great gig but pretty poor venue. It might have seemed like a good idea to turn a big old empty building into a concert venue but not much thought seems to have gone into it. Little effort to work on the acoustics, portaloos and only one exit that for 6000 people to funnel through. God knows that would happen in an emergency.

I don't think it helped that the sniffer dogs picked me out (wrongly) as potentially carrying dogs. Maybe I'm getting too old for standing around for a couple of hours. Victoria Warehouse isn't much better, come down in size to Albert Hall and the Ritz and we're getting somewhere.

The ritz and Albert Hall are good venues . I use to like the boardwalk years ago. Leadmill in Sheffield. 02 in Birmingham I like. The lomax in Liverpool was great back in the day. Could only hold about 50 though.

To go a little highbrow the Palace theatre is awful, no leg room even for a short arse like me, not enough bogs, overpriced drinks etc.

Went to the Grand in Blackpool on Friday to see a covers band supporting our armed forces, Rock for Hero's. Similar size theatre, chalk & cheese, plenty of room and toilets, drinks £4.50 a pint, an outside area for intermission, staff who knew what they were doing and the most important bit blue rather than red seats.

To go a little highbrow the Palace theatre is awful, no leg room even for a short arse like me, not enough bogs, overpriced drinks etc.

Went to the Grand in Blackpool on Friday to see a covers band supporting our armed forces, Rock for Hero's. Similar size theatre, chalk & cheese, plenty of room and toilets, drinks £4.50 a pint, an outside area for intermission, staff who knew what they were doing and the most important bit blue rather than red seats.
Your definition of high brow is interesting. The Palace? Lol. All tacky musicals and panto.

The ritz and Albert Hall are good venues . I use to like the boardwalk years ago. Leadmill in Sheffield. 02 in Birmingham I like. The lomax in Liverpool was great back in the day. Could only hold about 50 though.
Albert Hall is nice, but my issue is the capacity. It’s a 2000 cap and in the real world that’s just far too many people. It’s awful on a sold out show.

That and the toilets being in the basement is a complete pain in the arse.

The Ritz is a great room to watch a gig, just a shame the bar offer is terrible, and a rip off - as is the same for all Live Nation venues.

Thankfully Manchester has some excellent grassroots independent venues. Night & Day, Band on the Wall, YES are all far more interesting than the bigger places.

Really like the Albert Hall & Gorilla, but both are shite in the Spring/Summer, as they get absolutely roasting hot.
Have recently moved up to Newcastle.
Some superb venues : Boiler Shop, Northumbrian & Newcastle Uni's, The Cluny (1 & 2) Trillions, The Sage (Gateshead), Wylam Brewery, Riverside, the Tyne Theatre - also the Fire Station in Sunderland...

Your definition of high brow is interesting. The Palace? Lol. All tacky musicals and panto.
I’ve seen some great shows there, Les Mis, 42nd Street, South Pacific to name but a few. But agree with the original poster, there’s no leg room, must have been such short arses back in the day;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.