1968/69 Supporter Complaint Letter

1968/69 Supporter complaint letter regarding City's new Black & Red away shirt that Mr G.Toothill, of Crumpsall was not best pleased to see but unfortunately for him the club never met his request, but I admire his style back in 1968 !!!

View attachment 56134
He was spot on then and he’s spot on now.

A colour we should never have worn!

They were described as scarlet. But if this picture accurately portrays them, they look suspiciously like United shirts.

26f8b775dfaa4ff3126fed64bda9cebb.jpg
Not sure how accurate that^ is as there is also a colour image of the teams walking out that day:

8A1AFFF9-2E4F-4953-8A7F-3312B3F25F88.jpeg

161F7ACB-2366-4953-8A28-27012FDD7B85.jpeg

Another I’ve heard is that the numbers on the shirts were printed on a red background because whoever printed it was told the kit was “scarlet” and put the numbers in red squares thinking scarlet was red but the kit was actually maroon.

You can see the difference in the colour of the kit and the printed number square here:
C8976ACD-C083-4708-9EA6-4083C11AE2FB.jpeg

The kit being much darker (because it’s maroon) than the red squares.

Last edited by a moderator:
So even before swales we were to tight to give a old top away LOL

Funny thing is, one of my friends had connections with the club and bagged a set of 1968 red and black striped shirts cup final shirts complete with special cup final badge from the club. We wore them for our park 5-a-side tournament entered as "The Red and Black Bombers". 11 year olds in man-sized shirts but, of course, you couldn't easily get replica kits in those days so we were the only team in matching kit. We won, of course, and met the mayor of Sale who gave us the trophy and medals. I still have the photo but wish I still had the shirt.

Not sure how accurate that^ is as there is also a colour image of the teams walking out that day:

View attachment 56151

View attachment 56155

Another I’ve heard is that the numbers on the shirts were printed on a red background because whoever printed it was told the kit was “scarlet” and put the numbers in red squares thinking scarlet was red but the kit was actually maroon.

You can see the difference in the colour of the kit and the printed number square here:
View attachment 56152

The kit being much darker (because it’s maroon) than the red squares.
Sam Cowan and Dixie Dean captains

Question is, did she choose red & black after being advised they'd be neutral colours by someone who didn't know City would change their strip, or was she showing her MCFC allegiance or even hinting at a secret love affair with Summerbee?
That was the occasion when Tony Coleman said "Give my love to your mum".

(Who was it asked the Queen if she was going to the Cup Final this year, and when she said no, said, "Can I have your tickets then?"?)

I was at Goodson that game and clearly remember them trotting out in that kit which sent us City fans mad, hence the chant.
Actually I thought it was “we don’t want red” but that kit became iconic.
I think you may be right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.