Running thread

Advice urgently required.
I'm relatively new to running having started in earnest around seven weeks ago as an FOC whose only exercise previously involved the odd long walk. My PB (some four weeks ago) for 5k is 26:14 which is, admittedly, not that impressive when compared to the exploits of some on this thread. Regardless, I was delighted at the time. My challenge now is to move beyond the 5k distance which has become my default option. Ideally, my goal is to run 10k without it feeling like an ascent of Everest! I'd be grateful for any tips or advice from the more experienced posters.

26:14 is an excellent time for an FOC. Don't put yourself down!
I'm 52 and my 5k PB is 28:40, although I'm only about 16 months into my running journey.

I'm relatively new to running having started in earnest around seven weeks ago as an FOC whose only exercise previously involved the odd long walk. My PB (some four weeks ago) for 5k is 26:14 which is, admittedly, not that impressive when compared to the exploits of some on this thread. Regardless, I was delighted at the time. My challenge now is to move beyond the 5k distance which has become my default option. Ideally, my goal is to run 10k without it feeling like an ascent of Everest! I'd be grateful for any tips or advice from the more experienced posters.
you started running 7 weeks ago and hit 26:14 , fucking nora , are you mo farah ? as for not that impressive wow you are mo farah

5ks I’ve always found hard to pace. It’s such a short distance you really don’t have much chance to make up any slowish k’s at the start. You have to go out pretty hard to give yourself the chance of a good time, but push too hard and then by k 5 you’re on your arse.
Ha ha I guess it's all relative but I would say 5k is a bloody long distance to 60 year olds or those who are not built like stick insects ! 80 pc of the public probably couldn't run 1k without stopping !

Cheers Froggie! You don't know how good that makes me feel. At the the ripe old age of 61, I wonder what might have been had I started younger!
i was doing really well for 7 weeks,was running at a 40min 5k pace, just getting to 5k was my goal, i hadnt run or done any form of exercise for years if ever, had a knee problem and had to back off,started up again after a 6 week lay off,i decided to up my pace to a 30min 5k , so that's my goal, get to that then i will look to up it again, im in no rush,just want to get to my 5k then take things from there( beat @Leeky in the park run) haha

from what ive learnt about myself from starting to run is i need the motivation , set a goal and work towards that, i cant aimlessly run for running sake,i need that finishing line, so 5k is my first goal,5k in 30 mins my next , then beat your time,im not letting no FOC beat me :), oh and lose weight, when i started i was 15 stone 8lb, my goal was to get to 13st 7lb , i've lost 1st 8lb , not bad for a foc myself :)

right off to the physio haha, my knee feels 100% better, but work have paid for it and they have free coffee and a wonderful collection of free biscuits :)

Ha ha I guess it's all relative but I would say 5k is a bloody long distance to 60 year olds or those who are not built like stick insects ! 80 pc of the public probably couldn't run 1k without stopping !
Hahaha I know pal and anyone doing any kind of running is a good achievement. 5k at times can feel like an eternity believe me.

Mate I'm 61 and a newbie my fastest is 28 min. To up miles I did a 10k training plan then progressed to a HM and completed 1 with another planned for next year. I average about 30 mins for 5k and not all flying machines on here lol.

I'm rotund and 61, running about 2 and half years. Only keep check on diet when got an event on the horizon. I often see these runners thin as a rake out and about

i was doing really well for 7 weeks,was running at a 40min 5k pace, just getting to 5k was my goal, i hadnt run or done any form of exercise for years if ever, had a knee problem and had to back off,started up again after a 6 week lay off,i decided to up my pace to a 30min 5k , so that's my goal, get to that then i will look to up it again, im in no rush,just want to get to my 5k then take things from there( beat @Leeky in the park run) haha

from what ive learnt about myself from starting to run is i need the motivation , set a goal and work towards that, i cant aimlessly run for running sake,i need that finishing line, so 5k is my first goal,5k in 30 mins my next , then beat your time,im not letting no FOC beat me :), oh and lose weight, when i started i was 15 stone 8lb, my goal was to get to 13st 7lb , i've lost 1st 8lb , not bad for a foc myself :)

right off to the physio haha, my knee feels 100% better, but work have paid for it and they have free coffee and a wonderful collection of free biscuits :)

Well done with the weight loss. I've been stuck in a weight loss plateau for several months now. Went down from 18.5 stone at the start of 2020 to 15 stone now. I have a decent diet, run twice a week, swim twice a week, and walk & use public transport everywhere as I don't own a car. I only drink once a week these days too.
Been stuck in these weight loss plateaus temporarily in the past, and I know it's just your body readjusting to your new weight, but it's a bit frustrating putting in loads of effort and not seeing any reward!

Mate I'm 61 and a newbie my fastest is 28 min. To up miles I did a 10k training plan then progressed to a HM and completed 1 with another planned for next year. I average about 30 mins for 5k and not all flying machines on here lol.
Thanks ob. I guess slow and steady is the way to go. I'll scour the internet for a suitable 10k training plan and try to reduce the pace at which I run. I'm sure the speed will come naturally as I increase the mileage and feel more comfortable with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.