Cost of living crisis - how are you all doing?

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Mortgage is about to go up by around 230 a month. I had a mortgage in Manchester which was 330 a month and only had 8 years left on it. Moved to Somerset and took a 22 year mortgage at £730 a month, as I thought that it would be a better life compared to Newton Heath. It was financial suicide. The next few years are going to be a real struggle for me.
I am contemplating coming back north. I have some equity in my house, could get a cheaper mortgage and pay my car loan off. I really do not want to move back north (just yet). But, it does not make any sense being down here, when all my mates and family are up north and not having a penny to do anything.
It's absolutely soul destroying and starting to drag me down. I just don't know why to do.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Mortgage is about to go up by around 230 a month. I had a mortgage in Manchester which was 330 a month and only had 8 years left on it. Moved to Somerset and took a 22 year mortgage at £730 a month, as I thought that it would be a better life compared to Newton Heath. It was financial suicide. The next few years are going to be a real struggle for me.
I am contemplating coming back north. I have some equity in my house, could get a cheaper mortgage and pay my car loan off. I really do not want to move back north (just yet). But, it does not make any sense being down here, when all my mates and family are up north and not having a penny to do anything.
It's absolutely soul destroying and starting to drag me down. I just don't know why to do.
Is North Wales still cheap ? I used to like it there, Motorway and train to Manchester as well. Maybe an option ?

Live within your means, why would you want a huge mortgage the obvious solution is downside and feel the stress disappear

Live within your means, why would you want a huge mortgage the obvious solution is downside and feel the stress disappear
The interest rate rise has been huge and quick. Guess he’s one of the unlucky ones to have timed his upsizing incorrectly.

Downsizing will ease his pain, but won’t make him feel better. The map he had for the next stage of his life needs to be changed and that’s upsetting for anyone.

Wow that's tough. I don't want to make light of your situation but given your post your username did make me chuckle.

I'm slightly confused as to why you moved to Somerset when all your family and friends are here. I know you said a better life but unless you're married or have a partner with you is it better if you have no friends and family down there?

I'm not sure when you made the move but if recently it was insanity. After the money spunked during lockdowns it was obvious a huge financial price was going to have to be paid. As you only had a low mortgage and were a few years from paying it off, would it not have been better going all out to do that and then move, using the capital from any house sale?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. I wish you good luck, I hope things pan out for you.

Did you even read his post? Fuck me, he's not living a champagne lifestyle, he's chose a place to live where unfortunately the costs have caught up and he's gotta make a big life decision to go back to where he was. That shouldn't be something to casigate, it should be something to admire and be admired for trying.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.