Cost of living crisis - how are you all doing?

Wow that's tough. I don't want to make light of your situation but given your post your username did make me chuckle.

I'm slightly confused as to why you moved to Somerset when all your family and friends are here. I know you said a better life but unless you're married or have a partner with you is it better if you have no friends and family down there?

I'm not sure when you made the move but if recently it was insanity. After the money spunked during lockdowns it was obvious a huge financial price was going to have to be paid. As you only had a low mortgage and were a few years from paying it off, would it not have been better going all out to do that and then move, using the capital from any house sale?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. I wish you good luck, I hope things pan out for you.
I come from what is a particularly poor part of Manchester. Lots of my friends sell drugs, are locked up or dead. The amount of times people have posted things on here, that they have seen in the Evening News, which has been my mates or people I know, is unbelievable.
I have Crohn's disease and the doom and gloom was making me worse. I just did not want to be around it anymore. Due to COVID, I had 2 spells of total isolation, where I could not leave the house or have contact with anyone. There were some other things going on in my life at the time and I just needed to get away. I worked ridiculously hard to put myself in a position where I could make something of my life and did not want to be around all the shit that surrounded me.
I was offered a job in Somerset. They head hunted me. While I was making up my mind, one of my mates asked me to mind a load of money in my house, as I am a straight member. Another of my mates got locked up for shooting at another lad I know, in broard daylight, on Briscoe Lane. I just thought 'fuck this' I had, had enough.
So that's how I ended up in Somerset. I have just been unlucky with the timing from a financial perspective. From a lifestyle perspective, it was definitely the right decision.
I don't lead an ostentatious lifestyle. I have a 5 year old Volvo and I have a small 2 bed house in the countryside. It is going to difficult for me, for a while, but I just have to suck it up. I am mid 40's, well qualified and gaining valuable experience. When things do pick up, I can sell my house, return north and hopefully prosper. Just got to suck it up for now.

@Nightmare Walking I had many a friend go down the drink and drugs route. Lives degenerated and they ended up in all sorts of states. Like yourself, I moved on to get away from it all to good and bad success. I’d gone out socially with one for a few years or so as part of a group and was reintroduced to him earlier this year. He didn’t know who I was as he was in such a broken state now.

Being born with a brain in a very working class life can be difficult.

I come from what is a particularly poor part of Manchester. Lots of my friends sell drugs, are locked up or dead. The amount of times people have posted things on here, that they have seen in the Evening News, which has been my mates or people I know, is unbelievable.
I have Crohn's disease and the doom and gloom was making me worse. I just did not want to be around it anymore. Due to COVID, I had 2 spells of total isolation, where I could not leave the house or have contact with anyone. There were some other things going on in my life at the time and I just needed to get away. I worked ridiculously hard to put myself in a position where I could make something of my life and did not want to be around all the shit that surrounded me.
I was offered a job in Somerset. They head hunted me. While I was making up my mind, one of my mates asked me to mind a load of money in my house, as I am a straight member. Another of my mates got locked up for shooting at another lad I know, in broard daylight, on Briscoe Lane. I just thought 'fuck this' I had, had enough.
So that's how I ended up in Somerset. I have just been unlucky with the timing from a financial perspective. From a lifestyle perspective, it was definitely the right decision.
I don't lead an ostentatious lifestyle. I have a 5 year old Volvo and I have a small 2 bed house in the countryside. It is going to difficult for me, for a while, but I just have to suck it up. I am mid 40's, well qualified and gaining valuable experience. When things do pick up, I can sell my house, return north and hopefully prosper. Just got to suck it up for now.
Well you seem to be having a shit time at the moment.
Now you have opened up a bit more it’s a lot easier to see the dilemma you are facing.
If I was in your position this is what I would do.
I would start with the positives. You have certainly done the hardest thing by upping sticks and getting away from that environment. Some of your so called friends asking you to do stuff that you could carry the rap for. God knows where you would have ended up.
It sounds like you have managed to work your way up out of your environment and I am sure a lot of hard work getting a good job. You must be good at it to be head hunted.
There is equity in your house that is another positive which gives you better options.
No one knows where house prices will go but long term, they are usually the best investment you can make as they tend to go up in value above inflation and all gains are tax free.
With several house moves in the past I always maxed to my affordability levels.
Probably the biggest positive is,you have age on your side.
As regards the negatives there appears to be 3 main ones your health ,loneliness and financial.
Crohn’s disease is a wicked disease, I have severe Ulcerative Colitis a relative of Crohns but with the right medication hopefully you have it under control.
You had friends back in the North West so you don’t appear to be a loner.I would be thinking about joining something in your area which doesn’t cost a fortune and hopefully meet new friends. If it doesn’t work try something else.
Then your main issue seems to be financial problems.
Again no body has a crystal ball but the general belief is interest rates are not going to go much higher so hopefully this is as bad as it gets.
I personally would at your age, be looking at an interest only mortgage certainly short term. If you cannot transfer to a better deal at the moment with someone else speak to your current provider. You won’t be the first and there will be things they can do to help.
As regards your car I don’t know what your APR is but paying off finance, usually after early settlement charges can be a bit of a false economy.
Also if you live in the countryside you do need a reliable car in order to earn a living.
Having you considered renting out your spare room, again what you get for it will probably be tax free and provide you with company
If money is really tight I would perhaps consider eg bar work etc in the evenings just to keep my head above water short term.
As I said, you’re obviously good at your job, but are you getting the right salary for the job , if not test the water looking elsewhere or speak to your boss.
I think where you have been and where you are now you are certainly in a better position so just try and ride it out.
Oh, and change your name, I am sure you’re a million miles away from a nightmare walking.!!

Last edited:
Wow sounds tough but you did the right thing moving away. Stick with it if you can. Best of luck to you.

You did the right thing mate, it's tough now (I'm in the same boat my mortgage has more than doubled) but according to the so called 'experts' interest rates will start dropping in the new year, enjoy Christmas and the New Year with hope that better times are ahead.

Good luck fella
You made the change to move for the right reasons and at the moment appears to have backfired but things will change.
Good luck will come back to you I hope.

Aldi absolutely rammed everytime I’ve been in recently which is a sure sign that folk from all backgrounds are now feeling the pinch - some Of the shelves looked half empty today

Got all the basics covered and grateful for my sister, she won't let me go hungry if I overspend on the booze

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.