Media Discussion - 2023/24

These Blade fans seem to be bitter these days. I had a “full City Bingo” experience with one on the way back from Bramhall Lane earlier this season. Last Saturday at Pic Station I had another brief interaction. He said: “I don’t like your (City) hat. My response: “ I don’t like your face.” It went down like a lead balloon.
or indeed like his club

Don't think that's such a bad thing really.
if a thick Herbert, like ex-Red Higginbottom, thinks City will win the league due to a deep squad, will our rivals think the same ?
When MUFC were dominant, other clubs (unfortunately City were not contenders then) probably felt intimidated by them ?
A doubting negative attitude from our rivals could be a factor in them *bottling" their challenge, as The Arse did last season.
We have proved our mental strength in previous seasons...
We keep following our proven process, they can think what they want. Which usually helps.us...

Don't know where to post this, new thread ? but it seems the clothing company Superdry are suing us for using Asahi Super Dry. They are demanding damages, all training kits destroyed blah blah blah.

They lodged court papers on December 15th. I assume City think the fact thst it is two words and dry is in inverted commas makes a huge difference.
Their choice in how they litigate I guess, but it does raise questions as to why they aren't going after the source company.

The words 'quick' and 'cash' spring to mind.

How's their balance sheet?

We're not selling clothes with Super Dry written on it though!
The training gear we sell does not have the sponsor on it, only the players kit has the logo.
Besides - Superdry is registered as one word... where as the Asahi logo says Super "Dry" – I can't see that they have a leg to stand on!
I suspect, like me, your not an expert in trademark law, so who knows ;)

I don't know why they didn't act on the World Cup shirts, or why they've decided to target City. Perhaps it was a short term thing for the World Cup, so there wasn't really much time to pursue it. I also know a few trademark cases in publishing where some authors have been targeted, and others totally ignored, with no obvious reason why, but I assume Superdry know.

Superdry is registered as both Superdry and Super Dry. I also don't believe I said we were selling the clothing - just using the word on clothes.

Frankly, people pay good money to be on our shirts, so you'd think they would be happy for any confusion :)

Lots of waffle with a copy deadline to meet at a guess, plus probably had a brief of ‘do something on united’

The line ‘… the Arthurian magnificence of Manchester United…’ will surely go down in the annals of journalistic pseudo intellectual bollox
That pretty much sums up Barney Ronay's entire career.

For better or worse, we live in a capitalist economy and people who invest in and develop brands deserve protection under the law, so it’s necessary, and understandably very lucrative, and professionally you are up against very clever people, which any self respecting legal professional should relish - it’s just not really uplifting.

My girlfriend used to work in advertising and she described that industry along similar lines. Very well rewarded, exciting but a bit soulless.

Some people aren’t arsed about any of that though. We’re all different. We all have different priorities.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when it comes to trademarks, isn't there a legal imperative to act to protect it? The absence of doing so then leaves the holder at risk of further infringement because they let one through to the keeper so to speak.

Everton copped some bad press for going after a small business owner for this reason. (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/11/everton-fc-farm-shop-legal-action). If they let this go then it sets a precedent for others to infringe and use the name.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.