Transfer Nightmare After Winning The League

Dribble

Screenshot_20240110_115413_Gallery.jpg

Manchester City missed out on two gamechanger signings after winning Premier League for the first time...​

"Manchester City were hopeful of making two game-changing signings after their first Premier League title but ended up experiencing a horrific transfer window.

City pipped rivals Manchester United on goal difference in the dying seconds of the season, with Sergio Aguero scoring a last-gasp winner against QPR.

Roberto Mancini already had a talented squad at his disposal but immediately stressed the need to continue strengthening.

Screenshot_20240110_120655_Chrome.jpg

Mancini identified Robin van Persie and Eden Hazard as their top two targets and hoped for to land the pair for a total of £60 million.

He also wanted to sign Daniele De Rossi from Roma but ended up with one of the worst collection of signings for a title-winning side.

Screenshot_20240110_120533_Gallery.jpg

Brian Marwood signed Scott Sinclair, Jack Rodwell, Javi Garcia, Matija Nastasic and Maicon and unsurprisingly finished in second place, 11 points behind United."

I'm STILL scarred by that shit 2012 summer transfer window. IIRC, none of the players Marwood bought were at City 2 seasons later.

Nastasic aside, the rest were an unmitigated disaster & a complete waste of money. No wonder Mancini was so pissed. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

https://www.sportbible.com/football...nsfer-signings-premier-league-684406-20240109

remember that so well. Chelsea winning the CL stopped ultimately stopped us from getting hazard if i recall, but absolutely no excuses for the absolute shitshow of incomings that arrived that summer. Sinclair and Rodwell were just a complete disaster.

It was so underwhelming, and Marwood bottled it massively. I remember the 2-3 home defeat to the Rags in December (you know, when Nasri shit his pants at a piss poor Van Persie free kick) and thinking, we're going backwards rapidly. Horrible season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.