Phone stolen in Madrid - help needed

joedr116

This is a long shot i know but I was in Dubliners bar on 08/04/24 and sat at the very back bar with my wife adjacent to the bar. I was talking to a guy who I now know as Jude and had nothing to do with the incident but I had my phone stolen in the bar around 23:00. The bar was very packed but I am looking for anyone who was in the bar maybe at the back end who may have taken any videos or pictures as i want to be able to identify a croatian gentleman around 35-40 wearing black jacket and grey beard.
A long story short he got access to my phone and locked me out of my account and then stole quite a large amount of money from my bank accounts. I've reported it to the Police and the bar has no CCTV which I find suspicious considering how busy it was and the potential for trouble. If anyone can help or also had their phone stolen please pm me. We are talking a loss at the moment in the region of 4k which Im now trying to recover back from the banks,

My recommendation is although Apple Pay is great for convenience however if they get your phone whilst its unlocked you are screwed and face ID can be overruled with the passcode. Apple are now onto this a bit late for myself but anyone with a newer Iphone

Also i had a couple of cards attached to Apple Pay thats a disaster only have one and ideally one with a low card limit it only takes them to double tap and they dont need your facial ID.

Ensure you have IOS 17.3 or later

Go into settings
Face ID & Passcode
scroll down to Stolen Device Protection (New Feature)
Turn it on
This adds another layer of protection if your Iphone gets stolen so if your phone is in an unfamiliar location you must authenticate with face ID and not just the passcode. It also adds security delays of an hour before critical security changes are made.

Within approx 2 hours they had cleared out 3 bank accounts of funds !!

I hope this doesn't happen to any other blues onwards and upwards and hopefully we get the result next week

This is a long shot i know but I was in Dubliners bar on 08/04/24 and sat at the very back bar with my wife adjacent to the bar. I was talking to a guy who I now know as Jude and had nothing to do with the incident but I had my phone stolen in the bar around 23:00. The bar was very packed but I am looking for anyone who was in the bar maybe at the back end who may have taken any videos or pictures as i want to be able to identify a croatian gentleman around 35-40 wearing black jacket and grey beard.
A long story short he got access to my phone and locked me out of my account and then stole quite a large amount of money from my bank accounts. I've reported it to the Police and the bar has no CCTV which I find suspicious considering how busy it was and the potential for trouble. If anyone can help or also had their phone stolen please pm me. We are talking a loss at the moment in the region of 4k which Im now trying to recover back from the banks,

My recommendation is although Apple Pay is great for convenience however if they get your phone whilst its unlocked you are screwed and face ID can be overruled with the passcode. Apple are now onto this a bit late for myself but anyone with a newer Iphone

Also i had a couple of cards attached to Apple Pay thats a disaster only have one and ideally one with a low card limit it only takes them to double tap and they dont need your facial ID.

Go into settings
Face ID & Passcode
Turn it on
This adds another layer of protection if your Iphone gets stolen so if your phone is in an unfamiliar location you must authenticate with face ID and not just the passcode. It also adds security delays of an hour before critical security changes are made.

I hope this doesn't happen to any other blues onwards and upwards and hopefully we get the result next week
I was chatting to a blue from the Lake District who also had his phone stolen in The Dubliners on Monday night. Unless that was you?

Go into settings
Face ID & Passcode
Turn it on

Really sorry to hear that mate, what a nightmare. As you say, it’s a long shot but hopefully someone can help you. There were a lot of City fans in Dubliners that night. Failing that, the advice you’ve given should be useful for other Blues.

That's an awful story, sounds like a few have been stolen probably by pros.
Also shows the lack of security with some phones. I have a 5 year old Sony Xperia and thankfully nothing can be accessed without my fingerprint.

Sorry to hear that, but with all due respect I wouldn't have even bothered typing the post. There is little, if any, chance of getting a stolen phone back, but as a mobile phone retailer I have advised people for years to NEVER EVER use your phone as a wallet. You wouldn't carry a large sum of money in an envelope so why carry it in your phone? Few people actually secure them or even know how to, but given how easy it is to carry a credit or debit card around there really is no point in using your phone, it's just a gimmick.

For the record I, lock my cards and have a £100 maximum withdrawal limit in case I lose my card or have it stolen. It only takes a few seconds to unlock it again when you want to use it for a large purchase. It also gives the bank a red flag if somebody tries to use a card for more than the limit you have set. Any unauthorised use of the card is covered, I'm not sure if the rules apply to details stored in mobile phones though. Same with your computer, never store your card details in your PCs' "secure" card wallet.

I do hope you get a positive result from this, and if nothing else I hope this helps someone.

Incidentally there's nothing unusual about the bar not having cameras, CCTV blanket coverage is mostly a UK/US obsession. It's not that common in most other countries. Only the US and China have more CCTV cameras (think about how small our country is and you get an idea of how absurd it is), and only Italy (I think) has more speed cameras in total, but we have more per mile.

I have advised people for years to NEVER EVER use your phone as a wallet. You wouldn't carry a large sum of money in an envelope so why carry it in your phone? Few people actually secure them or even know how to, but given how easy it is to carry a credit or debit card around there really is no point in using your phone, it's just a gimmick.
Season ticket holders have to use our phones as wallets, that's the only reason I started using one.
Plus as I said, the only way my phone can be accessed is either fingerprint or pin. My banking app can only be used by password or fingerprint, so I'd say your advice is wrong.
It would be impossible to use my phone to obtain money without stealing my finger too, and even then it'd have to be the correct one.

How can someone clear a bank account using a phone? My NatWest app requires face ID or my passcode to access it.

That’s a shitter for you though, mate. Banks are usually good are compensating stolen money, so all the best to you with that.

Never ever put a bank card or any card in my Google Wallet.

It works for my SC without one.

Hope you get some sort of result OP.

I was in there earlier on but can’t recall no Croatian guy sorry, I see this all the time blues going to the toilet and leaving their phones on the tables as if they were leaving a napkin , happened so often in Istanbul fuck knows how he got into your phone and locked you out and managed to steal it, withdraw a large sum of money without you knowing did you give him your PIN number for your phone. I always leave my money in savings then just transfer daily what I will need that way if my phone/ cards get robbed there only getting a minimal amount at best

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.