The Album Review Club - Week #123 - (page 1446) OK Computer - Radiohead

Too pieces, I before C, Midnight, In My Room and Tuesday.

To name 5.

I'll try and keep my diet simple for when you pop round...;)

I'll give you I Before E and Tuesday but you are on thin ice with the others and you are away with the fairies with Midnight. I pity your friend Charles having to grow up with such a wrong 'un for a mate.

In 1983 30% of US record sales were by Brits. It started with Pop Muzik by M, Human League, Duran Duran...even Billy Idol counted!!

Blame MTV.
Far from blaming MTV, I'd say MTV was the catalyst for my love of music beyond the UK Mount Rushmore (Old Men of Hoy??) the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep and The Who. Maybe add the Doors for some stoner Yank flavo(u)r and AC/DC for some alcoholic Australian (really Scottish, like the Old Man) flavo(u)r.

Every weekend night I'd go out with my high school friends -- to dinner, to movies, to parties, to coffee -- and a group of us would end up back at a lucky friend's who had cable TV (my girlfriend was one of the few -- her dad was a plastic surgeon!), and therefore MTV.

So many wonderful evenings spent watching it for hours til 1 or 2 am with my friends or, when my GF and I were alone, fooling around on the couch with "White Wedding" or something playing in the background.

Some of my very happiest memories.

Far from blaming MTV, I'd say MTV was the catalyst for my love of music beyond the UK Mount Rushmore (Old Men of Hoy??) the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep and The Who. Maybe add the Doors for some stoner Yank flavo(u)r and AC/DC for some alcoholic Australian (really Scottish, like the Old Man) flavo(u)r.

Every weekend night I'd go out with my high school friends -- to dinner, to movies, to parties, to coffee -- and a group of us would end up back at a lucky friend's who had cable TV (my girlfriend was one of the few -- her dad was a plastic surgeon!), and therefore MTV.

So many wonderful evenings spent watching it for hours til 1 or 2 am with my friends or, when my GF and I were alone, fooling around on the couch with "White Wedding" or something playing in the background.

Some of my very happiest memories.

Swear Nirvana/Teen Spirit was played every other song.

The tsunami of nostalgia for this made me wonder what our most popular period was for nominations. We're more balanced than I thought we were. The Noughties looks like the decade we forgot but apart from that it's a pretty healthy spread.

(edited to remove the two pre 1910 nominations)

1713978639569.png

1713979339666.png

Looks like I picked the wrong time to quit the thread! First The Pale Fountains and now ABC. Lexicon of Love is another of my all time favourites. While I am fairly certain already how I will score it (as I still listen to it fairly regularly), I will enjoy giving it a more critical couple of listens before confirming my score. Looking forward to indulging myself again.

Trying and failing to ferment revolution, including getting punched for flogging newspapers on Civic Centre and going off to Loreto sixth form to find it had a significantly better class of young lady than I had previously been exposed to. I'm sure other things will come to me at some point. Good choice this.
I also went to Loreto College to do my A-Levels between 1984 and 1986. Maybe I just missed you by two years?

Looks like I picked the wrong time to quit the thread! First The Pale Fountains and now ABC. Lexicon of Love is another of my all time favourites. While I am fairly certain already how I will score it (as I still listen to it fairly regularly), I will enjoy giving it a more critical couple of listens before confirming my score. Looking forward to indulging myself again.
With this thread, you can check out any time you want but you can never leave.

(and of course, you are always welcome to get back on the nomination train - I don't think that that one was an Eagles lyric, though).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.