Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it isn't.

It's just City & Chelsea who won't give kids a chance. Everybody else does.

It was a simple question. Name some 20 year olds playing or even in the squad of teams at a similar level to City. My guess, you can't.
There'll be countless players of a similar level to Denayer around Europe still playing development football or on loan.

It's not my opinion, it's fact. You are entitled to want him as our 3rd or 4th choice centre half, but it's highly unusual to see players of his age at that level.

Chris Smalling is now growing into a decent looking footballer, it's taken how long? Wasn't he playing Sunday league at Denayer's age?

Anyone considered a 3 5 2 option ?

No chance.

A formation we've never played under Pellegrini with this squad, and who do you drop from our attack which is currently clicking perfectly?

Last time we experimented with it we had a pretty shite season, and we'd been practising it for months.

Another thing no-one seems to have considered, if we unceremoniously ship Denayer out on loan, after giving him the impression there'd be no more additions in his position and he'd get a good shout at a chance this season, then where does that leave us from a squad perspective with homegrown numbers?

Denayer would be registered as and under 21/ homegrown, if we ship him out (as we should as spending a year as 4 choice behind 3 senior centre halves in their peak would not be ideal for his development), doesn't that mean we'd have to sell to have another foreign registered player?

From what I've read from other posters, he won't count as homegrown until next season, iirc.

But isn't it an assumption that it's come out of the blue. It could be that everything is kept quiet to prevent alerting other clubs. We just don't advertise our transfer dealings/business any more

Judging by the comments from Denayer's agent, it has come out of the blue. The goalposts have been shifted from their perspective.

How do you know he isn't good enough though ? Until he gets a chance in the first team for us we will never know

Everything regarding the development of 20 year old centre halves would suggest he's not ready. 20 on all nearly occassions is too young. I'm sure there are fans at all clubs wanting the next young thing to be their star. 20 years old is too young. Not really an opinion, just commen knowledge in top level football.

Hence teams like Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea, ourselves having experienced centre backs.

Last edited:
My 2p worth.
We have to maintain and strengthen the squad whenever the opportunity arises. We cannot pass up a player just because we have a player coming up through the academy that we think, but yet do not know for sure, is going to be top class. We have Kompany and Mangala as our main pairing and MDM and Denayer as their back up. MDM is a known quantity in that he is a very experienced player who has done a fantastic job for us but he is getting on for 35 and is questionable how long he can go on playing at this level. Denayer is an unknown quantity in that although he has had a good season at Celtic he has never played in the Prem. He may hit the ground running or he may falter as Mangala did when he came to us from Porto.
What we cannot allow to happen is that we miss out on a player that would improve our defence because a) we think Denayer may be good enough and we subsequently find that he's not or b) we miss out on a player that would improve our defence because we are scared Denayer may leave. In my opinion if Denayer were to leave it would be his loss more than ours. The reason being that he may not end up at a top club, and if he does it may not work out. If however he stays with us I am sure he will get enough game time to show his worth this season. If he makes the standard we require then I am sure he will be one of the four next season because I can't see MDM carrying on playing at this level after this season. The choice is his to make. The choice the club have to make is do we sign a defender who would instantly improve our defence or not. I think we should regardless of what Denayer or his agent think.

Clubs that develop their own players, trust them & risk relying on them from time to time, because it is important.

If you look at what you have posted, then it means no young player will ever play for City. We can always find a player who, if we don't sign them, we could be said to be 'missing out' on strengthening, as opposed to promoting a kid. Always. Even when Messi was a kid, he wasn't the absolute best player Barca could have had. He was used because he was good enough to play a part not because he was perfect. Same with Giggs at Utd. He wasn't the best winger in the league at 19 there were better, older players. They could afford to sign better. None of those kids were the best. They chose to trust them & develop them. And won the title.

From what I've read from other posters, he won't count as homegrown until next season, iirc.

Well he certainly wouldn't have to be registered in the PL squad due to being under 21, so we'll have another foreign player to register when Otamendi comes in as he goes out on loan.

The numbers are also a bit more complicated for the CL squad by all accounts.

Disclaimer; Partially on topic but devling off topic.

Given all the team predictions for WBA and expectations of individual players, some drastically need to scale back their own expectations of the EDS and academy in general.

There will not be an influx of graduates to the first team each and every season. Right now we seemingly have a "golden generation" to some extent, for lack of a better term. Lopes, Denayer, Iheanacho even the likes of Evans. That may not seem like a lot but that's more than most clubs can expect to bring up and realistically challenge for a first team squad spot. Even then "graduating" to the first team doesn't mean they've "made it" it's just another step in their development to train with world class players, not play every week.

The academy won't produce a superstar every season. You invest in youth be it a 10, 12, 14, 16 or 18 year old in the hope they'll make it never the expectation that they will.

Our academy is one of the best possible places for a player to develop and make it in football. Be that for us or someone else; Trippier, Mee, Facey, McGivern, Logan etc all have legitimate careers in football despite very little if any first team experience with us. Our youngsters won't just look at our first team and think "I'll never get in there, I'm off" because there's not a straight turn over of 11 for 11 from the EDS to the first team every year. They'll want to be in the best environment to develop and perhaps make it elsewhere, and take advantage of City's connections and go on loan akin to Denayer, Lopes and Rekik who all got a move to Champions League teams. How many youth team players around the league get those chances? They're realistic. Yes they will sign for us in the hope they can play for one of Europe's biggest teams but they'll also realise they're in one of the best possible to develop and carve a career out elsewhere.

I understand Denayer perhaps wanting to go elsewhere, on loan I would imagine if he's fifth choice this season. For most clubs they have one Denayer, that one prospect that they promote at a time. Plenty thought Rekik would be starting for us by now. However, those saying to close the academy (over dramatic on purpose I imagine but genuinely said today) youth doesn't stand a chance are beyond stupid and/or have ludacris expectations. If City can produce one legitimate first team player or squad player every other year or so we're laughing. If they can produce players capable of commanding decent fees for decent teams then even more so. This current crop are an anomaly that has seemingly skewed people's expectations.

A loan for Denayer for this season and then a 4 of Kompany, Mangala, Demichelis and Otamendi for this year is superb. Then Demichelis will more than likely be off next summer, instead of squeezing every ounce out of him before he needs a zimmerframe like we would have 10 years ago, because we can then bring in Denayer. 2 players for each position is common, not unheard of, so it's not unfair to have 4 quality CBs, even 5 for 2 positions because you can never account for injuries etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.