Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know he isn't good enough though ? Until he gets a chance in the first team for us we will never know

How do you know he is? He had an excellent season at Celtic, which is very encouraging. However, if he wasn't a City player, I'm not sure many would be too eager for us to be buying players from the Scottish league.

19 / 20 is very young for a centre back, he's still got plenty of developing to do. I think it would aid his development to go out and get some games in a top league, hopefully the Prem. As another poster said, Southampton or Swansea would be ideal.

We've signed him to a 5 year deal so we believe in him and want him to be part of our future. DeMichelis is probably in his last season, so it makes sense for Denayer to go out on loan to a decent league, play games, develop, and come back next season and hopefully challenge for his place.

I think they'll alternate. Kompany and Denayer work as a pair, Otamendi and Mangala work as a pair. Everyone stays fresh for a long hard season.

I could understand Denayer's frustration if Demichellis still had a few more seasons left in him. However, it's looking extremely likely that Demi will leave next season.

There is even the possibility that he could leave in January if Denayer proves himself. That leaves us with an extra space for a non-homegrown player.

Denayer is a big part of our future. He just needs to be patient.

He could have signed a professional contract with a decent level team.

He is a title winner with Celtic. He is a whole fucking universe better than Rekik, who is a title winner for PSV & now a senior pro. His recent performances for Belgium piss all over Vincent Kompany's. All he lacks is experience.

Patience is not playing as 1st choice, not putting up with being 5th choice. He deserves to play football.

My 2p worth.
We have to maintain and strengthen the squad whenever the opportunity arises. We cannot pass up a player just because we have a player coming up through the academy that we think, but yet do not know for sure, is going to be top class. We have Kompany and Mangala as our main pairing and MDM and Denayer as their back up. MDM is a known quantity in that he is a very experienced player who has done a fantastic job for us but he is getting on for 35 and is questionable how long he can go on playing at this level. Denayer is an unknown quantity in that although he has had a good season at Celtic he has never played in the Prem. He may hit the ground running or he may falter as Mangala did when he came to us from Porto.
What we cannot allow to happen is that we miss out on a player that would improve our defence because a) we think Denayer may be good enough and we subsequently find that he's not or b) we miss out on a player that would improve our defence because we are scared Denayer may leave. In my opinion if Denayer were to leave it would be his loss more than ours. The reason being that he may not end up at a top club, and if he does it may not work out. If however he stays with us I am sure he will get enough game time to show his worth this season. If he makes the standard we require then I am sure he will be one of the four next season because I can't see MDM carrying on playing at this level after this season. The choice is his to make. The choice the club have to make is do we sign a defender who would instantly improve our defence or not. I think we should regardless of what Denayer or his agent think.

Another thing no-one seems to have considered, if we unceremoniously ship Denayer out on loan, after giving him the impression there'd be no more additions in his position and he'd get a good shout at a chance this season, then where does that leave us from a squad perspective with homegrown numbers?

Denayer would be registered as and under 21/ homegrown, if we ship him out (as we should as spending a year as 4 choice behind 3 senior centre halves in their peak would not be ideal for his development), doesn't that mean we'd have to sell to have another foreign registered player?

De Bruyne, hopefully, still to come in as well?

Just seems an unnecessary headache all round this one.

Hope Otamendi proves worth it.

Tbh I've played Devil's advocate on such things in this thread, but if the rags think what they have got is better than Otamendi, they are fucking mentalists. Either they are trying not to spend money, or Txiki has wiped the floor with them.

No way can they be seriously in the market for a cb & not be interested in this deal. He would arguably suit them much more than he suits us. And surely they can't have seriously believed Ramos was possible ?

Nah, they were chasing this one imo & either skimped on the fee or got outflanked by Txiki.

LVG is like Mancini though. He insists on having a left footed CB on the left. Smalling/Jones are going to be on the right, so Otamendi wouldn't fit that. God knows we passed over some great CB's to make sure we had a left footer on the left.

Anyway like I said, who cares? We got him. I'm happy either way.

Of course it is unless you honestly believe that Denayer should be in front of Vinny, Mangala, MDM or Otamendi right now?

No club of our stature playing in the competitions we are would have him in front of those 4 right now, none.

He will get his chance when he is deemed ready.
You need to show a bit of confidence with young player though like liverpool did with sterling or spurs did with kane. Not what chelsea do which is send them on loan every year.

Dont really see what more he can, young player of the season in scotland last season, motm against france and was propably our best defender in pre season.

It really isn't mate. I'm just disspointed for Denayer.

MDM should be the one phased out, but by all accounts it seems Denayer's going to get another loan, as he probably should do in fact with Otamendi to compete with for that backup spot. A year as 4th choice, with a similar amount of minutes that Boyata got last season, would not be good for his development.

It's not about being negative, it's about recognising every facet of a transfer, the ripple effect it will cause on the squad.

Otamendi has come pretty much out of left field. Seems to have been such for Denayer and his agent as well.

But isn't it an assumption that it's come out of the blue. It could be that everything is kept quiet to prevent alerting other clubs. We just don't advertise our transfer dealings/business any more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.