Centre Back Issue

mcfcirlam

I apologise if this should go into the players threads and maybe you will transfer it to them.

Ottomendi and Mangela did play OK last night when we had Fernandinho sitting in front.
The problem is Fernandinho is not a natural holding player so when he pushes on our centre backs look exposed.
We still dont have a Barry/De Jong type player which would then mean our front four dont have to worry about having to score 2 goals or more to win games.
With Mangela injured is there an argument to play Sanya at centre back(as he did for Arsenal on occasions) and bring Zab back in at right back.
I understand we have Demichelis but he is not the answer at Centre Back, but could be a natural holding player.
I know it sounds crazy that with all our resources i am suggesting playing players in different positions, but unless we buy a centre back now (Stones whos magnificent, Shawcross who is better than what weve got) this season could go either way.
WORRIED BLUE who wants to win the lot

Pellergrini being a centre back should recognise the problems .
But he doesn't .
Can anybody remember Pellergrini the football player ?

Even yaya at centre half as per 2009 champs league final could be an option, fernando is best at protecting defence with delph or fenandinho at the side of him
unfortunately putting yaya in that position 2nd half handed them the midfield, its no coincidence that barkley was made to look good after the switch, lukaku never got any space when mangala was on but de micheles is now a joke at the back.
Yet again though another manager out thinks ours tactically, always happens in big games

its laughable to actually think that despite spending 35 million on mangala and 30 million on otamendi, the likes of shawcross would probably do a significantly better job

Put a decent defensive mid next to Fernandinho and they'll be solid.

It's not a miracle Spurs and United have the best defence - they both have 2 very defensive central midfielders protecting the back 4.

I also think Mangala-Otamendi are improving after playing a decent stretch together - they're finally communicating, and when one jumps out (as Pellegrini wants them to) the other covers. It's still a bit hairy, but I think it's always going to be like that with Yaya.

Mangala's only mistake last night was pulling his hamstring and not being able to get out quickly enough to put Funes Mori offside.

if he'd stayed fit we'd have won that game.

Last edited:
The two Ferns in front of Ota and Demi, and stop playing the high line and that should get us through til Vinnie is back

The two Ferns in front of Ota and Demi, and stop playing the high line and that should get us through til Vinnie is back

Agree with this - Fernandinho + Fernando/Delph.
It does leave the problem of somehow arranging SIlva, KDB, Toure, Sterling, Navas, Delph (??) into 3 positions, but that would be an interesting change to make.
I'd even be tempted to say they need the proper cover when Kompany is fit - no centre back will be comfortable if the 20 yards in front of him is deserted.

Agree with this - Fernandinho + Fernando/Delph.
It does leave the problem of somehow arranging SIlva, KDB, Toure, Sterling, Navas, Delph (??) into 3 positions, but that would be an interesting change to make.
I'd even be tempted to say they need the proper cover when Kompany is fit - no centre back will be comfortable if the 20 yards in front of him is deserted.

I think that should be Silva, KDB, Sterling, Navas, Delph. You can't include Toure after his last few performances, he has lost it. All round me last night at Goodison people were bemoaning how YaYa hadn't turned up again. He feels that playing any more than 90 seconds is far too much effort for him. A bit like me walking to and from the coach........... and I've got a good excuse and don't get paid £200,000 for just turning up!!

p.s. it was good to see Bill/De Niro last night, looking great sir.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.