Geronimo Rulli

Not sure I get this . It's probably really clever & hopefully we'll see that once the details are ironed out. Well that's what i am hoping.

Not sure I get this . It's probably really clever & hopefully we'll see that once the details are ironed out. Well that's what i am hoping.
Basically we never had a chance at him unless we were willing to sell Joe. So instead, we bought the right to buy him dirt cheap in the future if he turns out to be as good as we think he will be.

Hoped this deal would make more sense in the cold light of morning. It doesn't.

Fuckinell, didn't think we'd get to the point where as a fan you require a PhD in order to make sense of our transfer deals!

Let's be hypothetical for a minute. I'm going to use some figures purely for illustrative purposes, they wont be ridiculous but probably won't be accurate either. I'm using £ rather than euros as well, but to be fair there isn't much difference at the minute. Anyway.

The lad doesn't want to come. He wants to go to Sociedad. He is guaranteed to start as No 1, rather than playing cup football for City. We see him as a great keeper long term and don't want to lose out, and then he become brilliant and cost £30m for example, in a few years. We also have first option on him via some third party.

So, we buy him from Deportivo Maldonado, let's say the deal is heavily incentive based like most we do, maybe we only pay £2m up front. We then loan him to where he actually wants to go, with them paying his wages and an obligation clause to buy him. Deal goes through and he signs permanently for Sociedad for £7m. This then negates the incentives in the original deal as he hasn't achieved them and no longer plays for the club, so we're currently in profit having sold a player for more than we paid for him and he hasn't kicked a ball for us. We insert a buy back clause at a fee where we still feel we're getting him cheap (if he goes on to be the player we think), but it's still profit for Sociedad, and enough profit for them to bother being included in this bizarre deal in the first place. If he doesn't develop into what we think he will, we don't activate the clause and we've made £5m on a player that has never played.

If he goes on to be a world class keeper, we buy him back for £14m. Net spend is £9m. Sociedad have made money, Deportivo have made money (they will have future sell on fee entitlements as well), and we've spent £9m on a world class keeper that could now be worth £30m. We either cash in, or he goes in the first team.

This is purely hypothetical, but none of us know the actual terms of this agreement so we can't call the above speculative, and in the other breath say it doesn't make sense. We just don't know either way. However, if it's similar (it won't be the same) to how i've described it above, it's a good move for all parties right?

Time for a coffee.

Hopefully this clears things up.....not!;)

AS: Gerónimo Rulli set to join Manchester City… in a very confusing deal

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2016/07/13...oin-manchester-city-in-a-very-confusing-deal/

Manchester City have exercised their clause to sign 24-year-old Argentine goalkeeper Gerónimo Rulli, according to AS, in a complex deal that needs some explaining.

Rulli had been poised to join Real Sociedad on a permanent deal from Deportivo Maldonado, a second division Uruguayan side who ‘host’ players for third-party owners such as Rulli’s. City are said to have a stake in the South American investment group that owns Rulli’s sporting rights, granting them a first option to sign the player. They have now used this option and there is a complete agreement for City to buy the player outright.

What will happen next, according to this story, is very confusing. City will loan Rulli back to Real Sociedad, where he has was parked last season, but La Real will then be obliged to sign the goalkeeper for a fee of around €7 million (£5.8 million) next summer. City will therefore have signed Rulli, loaned him out, and sold him within a year.

But it doesn’t end there. Having sold Rulli, City will have a buy-back clause, allowing them to sign him in future for around double what Sociedad gave them, so approximately €14 million (£11.6 million). 2018 is mentioned as the year in which City could bring him back to the Etihad. They would have to pay to re-sign a player they had previously owned, in what could be viewed as a developmental fee to Sociedad. If City didn’t decide to buy him back, Rulli’s release clause would be €40 million (£33.4 million) for any other club wishing to acquire him.

If Rulli left Sociedad for any club besides City, whether for his €40 million clause or lower, City would be entitled to 30% of the total amount with Sociedad getting the other 70%.

After many mixed reports on which goalkeepers City may be signing, this one seems the most reliable, simply because of how incredibly confusing and complex it is. The indications are that Gerónimo Rulli is set to become a Manchester City player, but only for a year… and then he may become a Manchester City player again in a couple of years.

Been reading some posts on Reddit which make this much easier to understand, and actually sounds like a neat deal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.