United post-match thread

Spent half time in the dark, rags turned the lights off, I guess when you're in millions of pounds of debt you need to cut back where you can...

As for the game, meh. Bit frustrating that we had chances to truly rub their noses in it after their thrashing on Sunday and really ramp up the pressure in PEG but overall, not too despondent

It's about time this competition was put out of its misery its had its day, can't even get a sponsor anymore, or its reorganised, to exclude clubs playing in Europe. Everyone moans about too many games but we are the only top league to have 2 cup competitions. So imho Pep was absolutely spot on with his selection and I for one am glad we are out of it, at least the squad gets a break after Xmas when the 2 legged semi is played Opportunity for them to have a mini break in the sun?

I'm still pissed off that Mike Dean was giving them a penalty if Mata missed. It should have been our free kick yet he's there waving for advantage because he's already decided to give them a penalty. Last night seemed like corruption in action to me. The decisions were astonishing.

Dean gave them every fifty-fifty decision last night. He penalised Kompany for an alleged foul on Ibrahimovic when it was clearly Ibrahimovic backing in. Just a few minutes later Iheanacho conceded a free kick against the defender in a near identical incident. There was no consistency. It was also a clear foul on Fernando for their goal, which when you consider our line up, says a lot about how poor they are that it took a dodgy goal to decide it.

I have to say though, extremely disappointed with the team Pep put out last night. It was a derby game and regardless of the competition we should have been going as full stength as possible.

I know last night was an away game, but when fans are criticised for poor attendances in cup competitions, is it any wonder? If the club aren't taking it seriously there isn't much incentive for fans who actually pay hard earned money to pay for the privilege.

Not worried about the current run of form. we were always likely to lose to Barca and it was a weak team last night. We probably should have won the other games, but it's early in the season and we're getting used to a new style of play.

I am sure in the previous 58 pages this has already come up, but for me:
  • Good run out and genuine pressure experience for the youngsters.
  • Despite the lack of bite up front, quite comforting to see our reserves out play the rags best team (and WITH Fernando on the pitch).
  • Having had a raod to damascus moment myself this week, removing the emotion, I believe that Pep played this one with an eye on the future, meaning
  1. He's got a long term plan.
  2. He knows where our priorities must lie and has the boll*cks to adjust accordingly.
  3. He's not feeling emotionally pressured into simply beating the rags if it poses a threat to the master plan.
I am actually not feeling anywhere near as bad as I thought I would.

Absolutely not arsed that we're out of this cup. Might not seem it now but it's definitely for the best. Can well do without an extra game against another PL team, not to mention a 2 legged semi final in December which is already a tough month. Hopefully the rags get the scousers in the next round.

Thought the lads did pretty well for the most part especially maffeo and Garcia who bossed the first half.

I am sure in the previous 58 pages this has already come up, but for me:
  • Good run out and genuine pressure experience for the youngsters.
  • Despite the lack of bite up front, quite comforting to see our reserves out play the rags best team (and WITH Fernando on the pitch).
  • Having had a raod to damascus moment myself this week, removing the emotion, I believe that Pep played this one with an eye on the future, meaning
  1. He's got a long term plan.
  2. He knows where our priorities must lie and has the boll*cks to adjust accordingly.
  3. He's not feeling emotionally pressured into simply beating the rags if it poses a threat to the master plan.
I am actually not feeling anywhere near as bad as I thought I would.

Great post.

I am not too bothered about losing this game, and we are at least out of this cup. It has been a wooden spoon for us over the last few years.

I think pep made the game a nothing game by putting out a B team, Utd didn't and couldn't prove anything imo.

Am more concerned at the dressing room attitude and togetherness. Things haven't been right since the Celtic game .
Which is why I was so keen we should win. The longer this run goes on, the worse it gets. We were very poor against Southampton especially in the first half - easily our worst performance of the season.

I'd far rather be taking tired players who had won to West Brom, rather than rested players who have lost again. We need to get back to winning ways fast before heads really drop and players start to question Pep's methods. If they aren't already.

Which is why I was so keen we should win. The longer this run goes on, the worse it gets. We were very poor against Southampton especially in the first half - easily our worst performance of the season.

I'd far rather be taking tired players who had won to West Brom, rather than rested players who have lost again. We need to get back to winning ways fast before heads really drop and players start to question Pep's methods. If they aren't already.

But the rested players didnt lose again, they were rested... When our reserves play the outcome of that match has no meaning on the first team, why would last night? All we saw was a spirited performance in the first half from the kids and the reserves against a full strength United first team at OT. We saw young players in their first Derby come out with their heads held high. This game means absolutely nothing in relation to the first team and more importantly to the league.

was disappointed by Sane but enjoyed Garcia and Maffeo's performances.

It really showed Utd up more than anything else, though im sure they'll just take the win as they needed it too

We played Garcia and Maffeo who incidentally had a great game and Pep will have learnt so much about them.

We made 9 changes in total which tells you all you need to know.

Rags fielded a virtually full strength side which tells you all you need to know about the current state of both clubs.

We are top of the league.

Those bemoaning us going out to the rags last night are more bothered about what they will face on facebook and twitter than they are about our players, our club and whats actually best.

There is a complete and utter lack of a grasp of modern football from a few on here unfortunately.
All of that, and they still required help from some dodgy refereeing to actually win.

Of the 6 games we have failed to win, this was the least important, and in the context of our future this season, and even following seasons, utterly irrelevant, and even if we'd been at our best with a full team out, there would have been a way found, for us to go out anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.