United Airlines - Passenger removal

As normal the "exiters" have put up poor arguments. :) Here's the thing @Gelsons Dad.

Let me first say if there is one profession that I admire the most it's airline pilots. And I understand why you stick up for your profession. But this is an utter disgrace. I hate flying. It takes me all my time to get on the plane. Once I am on no one is getting me off. How do they know he isn't flying to a destination which involves numerous connecting flights, all of which will be screwed if he misses this flight. There's loads of reasons why this is disgusting customer service. Hiding behind "airlines can refuse to carry anyone" is poor by anyones standards.

You have not answered the question about your seat at City. It happened to me once. I was a season ticket holder (still am) and I arrived and found someone in my seat. He had a ticket for my seat. The stewards found me a nice seat in that third tier restaurant thing of the North Stand but say they said to you that you had to leave the game v Chelsea and you can come back on Wednesday to watch Hull for free and you get a free goody bag with a signed Sané shirt. And your plans were such that it really was not convenient. Would you leave the stadium?

First of all, this isn't a Pilot thing. It is normal practice in the airline industry. It is approved by the governments that issue the Airline Operating Certificate. All airlines overbook flights by a certain percent because passengers often don't show up and the seat would otherwise go empty while someone who wanted to fly and would have turned up doesn't get the chance.

The city match example doesn't compare because they would only overbook by administrative error not policy.

If you hate flying, don't fly. If you are unable to follow a simple instruction because of your fear you may well endanger other people in an emergency. Do you have that right? The crew have a responsibility for safety but it requires the cooperation of the passengers.

It looks like poor customer service if you ignore the fact that he was asked to deplane and chose to remain until he had to be forcibly removed. Someone earlier mentioned a compassionate case. Again not relevant. Comp passengers have a high priority so long as they make the airline aware. He was not a comp passenger he just didn't want to be the one to get off. Well neither did anyone else and in the end someone had to.

Again, I reiterate the case that from the airlines view, inconveniencing 4 passengers on this flight was a better option than not sending the dead head crew. They made that call based on all the facts not just speculation.

I'm not sticking up for the airline because I work in the industry, they are a competitor. I'm just giving an inside perspective. We have the similar rules but the Swiss way would not escalate so quickly. It would however delay things much more and risk cancelling the flight and inconveniencing everyone.

The reason:

Mr Munoz acted after shares in the airline's parent company United Continental Holdings fell 4% earlier on Tuesday.

Investors appear to have become increasingly anxious as people kept watching and sharing the footage - including 130 million views on China's Weibo social media platform by Tuesday afternoon.

After his latest statement they recovered much of the losses to settle 1.5% lower.

The company earned about 14% of its annual revenue last year by flying Pacific routes.
I hope they boycott the airline . I wish every passenger on the plane would have stood up and walked off the plane with this chap and his wife, love thy neighbour and all that.

First of all, this isn't a Pilot thing. It is normal practice in the airline industry. It is approved by the governments that issue the Airline Operating Certificate. All airlines overbook flights by a certain percent because passengers often don't show up and the seat would otherwise go empty while someone who wanted to fly and would have turned up doesn't get the chance.

The city match example doesn't compare because they would only overbook by administrative error not policy.

If you hate flying, don't fly. If you are unable to follow a simple instruction because of your fear you may well endanger other people in an emergency. Do you have that right? The crew have a responsibility for safety but it requires the cooperation of the passengers.

It looks like poor customer service if you ignore the fact that he was asked to deplane and chose to remain until he had to be forcibly removed. Someone earlier mentioned a compassionate case. Again not relevant. Comp passengers have a high priority so long as they make the airline aware. He was not a comp passenger he just didn't want to be the one to get off. Well neither did anyone else and in the end someone had to.

Again, I reiterate the case that from the airlines view, inconveniencing 4 passengers on this flight was a better option than not sending the dead head crew. They made that call based on all the facts not just speculation.

I'm not sticking up for the airline because I work in the industry, they are a competitor. I'm just giving an inside perspective. We have the similar rules but the Swiss way would not escalate so quickly. It would however delay things much more and risk cancelling the flight and inconveniencing everyone.

They did not make the call based on all the facts, they made the call for financial reasons, the call did not include the view of the passengers, who were ejected.
Further more if passengers don't show, the seat has still been paid for even if someone is not sat on it, so why do airlines need to overbook.

I had to fly home early from holiday due to a bereavement, I didn't make a fuss, I didn't want the airline knowing,the airline sold the seat to someone else, they sat next to my family members, so the airline got paid twice for the same seat. You seem happy to defend a practice that allows airlines to profit when a passenger fails to turn up by selling seats that have already been paid for, as someone has already said would you be happy being told your seat at a cup final has been double booked so you must vacate it?

If it looks like poor customer service, sounds like poor customer service, it probably is poor customer service. Overbooking is nothing more than profiteering and should not be allowed.

Once you have been allowed on board it is not unreasonable to expect to fly.
This was the airlines fault. They should have known the seats were needed and sorted out volunteers before allowing passengers on.
Too many people willing to give up their rights these days.....
It's sheep we're up against...

Any excuse for this one..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.