Inigo Martinez

Inigo Martinez, sorry.

He was like Laporte 3 years ago, but no one went for him, I think he'd be decent, especially if we could get him below his release clause.

I know you're going to disagree vehemently, but we need another midget centre half like a punch in the face off Mike Tyson with an anvil in his gloves. That doesn't mean I'm espousing buying a talentless lummox instead, but rather someone comfortable in possession yet equally physically equipped to defend one on one in oceans of space against the Premier League's never ending stream of 6ft plus juggernaut forwards, cos like it or not, with very attack minded fullbacks and precious little in the way of defensive midfield cover, that's how our centre halves will have to defend next season, the ball lumped downfield to the opposition 'big man' with monotonous regularity. And I'm not talking about potential difficulty with corners and crosses cos we acquitted ourselves pretty well on that score last season, but rather hold up play and/or rolling our defenders and going on to score or tee up others.

I know you're going to disagree vehemently, but we need another midget centre half like a punch in the face off Mike Tyson with an anvil in his gloves. That doesn't mean I'm espousing buying a talentless lummox instead, but rather someone comfortable in possession yet equally physically equipped to defend one on one in oceans of space against the Premier League's never ending stream of 6ft plus juggernaut forwards, cos like it or not, with very attack minded fullbacks and precious little in the way of defensive midfield cover, that's how our centre halves will have to defend next season, the ball lumped downfield to the opposition 'big man' with monotonous regularity. And I'm not talking about potential difficulty with corners and crosses cos we acquitted ourselves pretty well on that score last season, but rather hold up play and/or rolling our defenders and going on to score or tee up others.

Martinez isn't a midget, and We don't have any "midget" centre halves anyway, so I'm not sure we could have "another" by definition.

Otamendi has his problems, none of them are to do with his height.

Martinez isn't a midget, and We don't have any "midget" centre halves anyway, so I'm not sure we could have "another" by definition.

Otamendi has his problems, none of them are to do with his height.

Height, physicality, call it what you will. Martinez might not be Peter Dinklage, but at 5ft 11 he is short for a centre half, as is Otamendi at 6ft. In the likely event that Kompany cops for an injury next season, and we buy Martinez, we will have the smallest group of centre halves (as a collective) in the division. And Otamendi absolutely did have trouble last season because of his height, whether it be trying to dive in in front of forwards as his perceived best means of winning the ball and getting rolled or turned in the processs, heading the ball straight up in the air, or getting walked through. Several teams, most notably Leicester and Boro at the end of the season targeted him directly for long ball bombardment, albeit that he wasn't assisted in any way by having Clichy alongside him.
Personally I think Otamendi is the best 'footballing' centre half at the club, but he needs a Kompany alongside him not a Martinez. If we buy another centre half I'd far rather it was Van Dyke

Personally want Mangala to be given a chance, he was quality with Kompany as his partner and showed on the ball ability all season here in Spain, not to mention that he's a physical specimen who could neutralize someone like Lukaku. I think that he's earned it, although I fully trust Pep's judgement

At this point, of rather keep Mangala than go out buying another. We have simply spent enough on defense. Time to look somewhere else.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.