Centre back options

Mangala has the raw materials to be excellent in the prem. Surely he can be improved with coaching and regularly games. He looked a beast against Chelsea on his debut and he put big nose in his pocket against psg as I recall. Consistency comes with playing and knowing you're trusted. I certainly wouldn't want to be marked by a combo of vk and mangala. Is VVD that much better than him?

He's 26. Wouldn't consider that young.
It terms of top centre backs I think it's fair to call him young. It's a position where age and experience are a real bonus. I think he's still a couple of years away from the peak for that position.

Mangala has the raw materials to be excellent in the prem. Surely he can be improved with coaching and regularly games. He looked a beast against Chelsea on his debut and he put big nose in his pocket against psg as I recall. Consistency comes with playing and knowing you're trusted. I certainly wouldn't want to be marked by a combo of vk and mangala. Is VVD that much better than him?
It really just comes down to whether mangala can cope with passing the ball around at the back when we are being pressed. Defensively he's no worse than otamendi or stones imo. Vvd is a more consistent defender and better on the ball, again imo.

Mangala has no composure, so not sure how he is going to fit in possession based team. Teams in CL certainly will press us big time.

It terms of top centre backs I think it's fair to call him young. It's a position where age and experience are a real bonus. I think he's still a couple of years away from the peak for that position.
He is not young. Let's stop trying to justify that claim.He is 26. At 26 Kompany was best defender in the world, so was the dude at Real. So was the Brazilian at PSG. Bonucci popped at 27, Chielini at 25.

Yes, while some older CBs are good, they were already great at 26. For example, 26 year old Kompany was better than the current one. So no, he is not young. He is a passable backup. Not very good. But as 4th choice will do.

It really just comes down to whether mangala can cope with passing the ball around at the back when we are being pressed. Defensively he's no worse than otamendi or stones imo. Vvd is a more consistent defender and better on the ball, again imo.

He was around a 83% passer last season at Valencia on attempting 40 passes per game, obviously not at Stones/Otamendi level of success but around what Kolarov did. That will be inflated by another 15-20 attempts per game with the current system as a CB, which I think he will do just fine the more he gets used to the system.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.