Centre back options

Hypothetically, its the morning of the Chelsea away game. Pep is planning to play a back 3, we've prepared on that basis. He's then told that Otamendi has been sick overnight. Will he:

a) Replace Otamendi with Mangala
b) Change to a back 4
c) Switch another player (eg Mendy) to play in the back 3
d) Decide that Otamendi will be ok to play
e) Something else not involving Mangala

If the answer to that question is a) then we should keep Mangala. If its anything else then we should move him on.

Hypothetically, its the morning of the Chelsea away game. Pep is planning to play a back 3, we've prepared on that basis. He's then told that Otamendi has been sick overnight. Will he:

a) Replace Otamendi with Mangala
b) Change to a back 4
c) Switch another player (eg Mendy) to play in the back 3
d) Decide that Otamendi will be ok to play
e) Something else not involving Mangala

If the answer to that question is a) then we should keep Mangala. If its anything else then we should move him on.

Provided we are happy with the alternative to Mangala, if Kompany also calls in sick.

Do we have any space in the squad for a non-English CB? I'm thinking Benedikt Howedes would be perfect: German regular who seems to be able to play literally any defensive position, especially on the left-side which is where we may be looking to reinforce.

Last edited:
Do we have any space in the squad for a non-English CB? I'm thinking Benedikt Howedes would be perfect: German regular who seems to be able to play literally any defensive position, especially on the left-side which is where we may be looking to reinforce.
Know what you are saying but he is another player who has suffered significantly with injurys over the last few years.

Know what you are saying but he is another player who has suffered significantly with injurys over the last few years.
Good to know. Haven't really been aware of his fitness. I'm usually very impressed whenever I see him play for Germany or Schalke, regardless of position, so i figured he deserves a mention.

If we bring in Sanchez/Mbappe, are we handcuffed with bringing in an English CB to meet the quota? I understand getting Evans since he holds down one of the toughest defenses in the league; just hesitant over the potential price being thrown around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.