West Brom (League Cup) Post match thread

Some over reactions here regarding that tackle and the ref. Taking emotions out of it for a second because it was on Gundogan and It was a poor challenge but nothing more. Some might even say a good tactical foul. The comments here reminds me a bit of the time De Jong broke Ben Arfa's leg and there was a witchhunt for him from everyone else. The ref let a few tackles go he probably should have carded but he wasn't that bad. None of them were red cards, and he didn't make any glaring errors.

I've spoken about it on a lot of other threads but this is where a team playing over physical football impacts things. Because referees in England let you get away with murder West Brom were able to kick the shit out of us. Which is incredibly draining on our players as it saps the life out of them. That's part of the reason we got so weak towards the end. It's the same reasoning as to why United always score in the last 10 minutes.

Great first half. WBA needed to kick off Gundogan and make it physical. And they succeeded. We got away a few times but overall deserved for simply trying to play football. And unfortunately not a game for the youngsters.
How we got 4 players booked and that lot just 1 is beyond me.
Whatever, we got through and have Wolves. At home. Someone gets fired tomorrow at the FA's office.

Some players looked rusty, Mangala and Toure to name two. Danilo was out of sorts when put at left back. Bernardo still needs is time and gelling. Not so Gundoganwho was fantastic. Hope his injury is minor and we can see him back asap.

Without Gundogan we had no midfield. There was way too much space between our forwards and the midfield so we could not play out typical game and had to resort to long balls. Yaya could not move the whole game really poor performance.

Yes, sorry to say, but he was our worst player by a distance. Lack of match sharpness probably played a part, but he just looked way off the pace.

It's the Carabao Cup, they'll decide in a minute that there's been a mistake and we'll get redrawn away to Partick Thistle.

Seemed to lose our shape and composure after the Gundogan injury which was understandable. Hope he's ok it was a shithouse tackle and worthy of a red card. Fuck your tactics tracksuit tony for trying to kick us off the park and the ref was a disgrace for allowing them to do it

After reading an interesting article on Gundogon, and the extensive rehabilitation he had to thru, it'd be a real shame if that **** Yacob has gone out, knowing full well he's just come back from a long lay off, and intentionally fouled him.

First half was pretty decent and a continuation of the form shown over the last three games. Gundogan was running the show. He was the nucleus for every good action that we made. If the injury is as serious as it looks then it's a massive loss. We simply stopped playing after he went off. The midfield was non-existent. Yaya gave the worst performance of his City career. Absolutely pathetic. He walked round the pitch for 90 minutes, very occasionally breaking into the slowest jog humanly possible. Every single time the opposition was able to spin him with ease. He put up absolutely no fight and nearly cost us a replay or worse. I can't remember the last time that I was this angry about one of our player's performances.

Bernardo made just a single action worth recalling in the whole game, where he broke forward and played a perfectly weighted ball through to Sane for the second goal. He played very deep and was unable to affect the play. Towards the end of the game he did not press the West Brom defenders and afforded them time to ping long balls up to Rondon. I have to say though that he was not the only one guilty of this. We simply stopped pressing towards the end and they were able to create multiple golden opportunities to equalise.

Mangala... What more is there to say about him. He is not a footballer. He does not have a footballing mind. He is a physical presence and nothing more. Constantly giving the ball away. Constantly choosing the wrong pass. Constantly clearing it long, often unnecessarily, without any attempt to find a teammate. He is a major liability and it highlights an area that we desperately need to reinforce in January.

Other than Gundogan, only Sane and Jesus put in noteworthy performances. Disappointing and frustrating overall.

Most of the defence went to pot in the last thirty minutes, with Stones and Mangala all over the place, and Danilo looking less comfortable at left back than even Delph had. Walker looked reasonably composed, but with no midfielder willing to take the ball, it all played into their hands, who if they had taken their chances could quite easily have nicked it.

I know the players were concerned about Gundogan at the injury, but I think their youth and inexperience told from that point on. It was also noticeable that only Toure really went to remonstrate with Yacob. Had we had Fernandinho, Kompany, and Silva on the park, I think they would have been straining at the leash to get at him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.