Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did that debate ever even really occur, or are we just making up things to be aggrieved about now?!
I swear it happened, sometime back in January if I remember correctly. The onus was that Sané/Sterling/Jesus cost so much more than Martial/Rashford/Lingard so should be performing far better. Turns out, they do.

I've seen / heard plenty of praise; it would be perverse not to recognise our current performances in any other way.

And rightly so aswell, so why are City fans on this thread claiming otherwise? For some reason there is a desperation to believe praise and credit to the club is not given.

Last edited:
We are quite rightly getting a lot of praise but I think some pundits keeping their powder dry until after the Chelsea match. We have started very well for the last 2 seasons but fallen away to finish fourth and third and our big game record has been poor.

If we lose to Chelsea the same questions will be asked, win and the story will be Jose v Pep for the title. If it does start looking like a head to head then the same pundits will point to united grinding out 1-0s as proof of title credentials, see Dan Murphy and Alan Pardew making this point already (Jose's the arch pragmatist whereas we're trying to win with style and swagger and flair).

We are quite rightly getting a lot of praise but I think some pundits keeping their powder dry until after the Chelsea match. We have started very well for the last 2 seasons but fallen away to finish fourth and third and our big game record has been poor.

If we lose to Chelsea the same questions will be asked, win and the story will be Jose v Pep for the title. If it does start looking like a head to head then the same pundits will point to united grinding out 1-0s as proof of title credentials, see Dan Murphy and Alan Pardew making this point already (Jose's the arch pragmatist whereas we're trying to win with style and swagger and flair).

To be honest Im not overly comfortable with the plaudits being thrown at us and all this City v United for the title, two horse race.

In the here and now we deserve the credit for the football were playing, and that should be rightly noted, but its far too early to suggest a club like Chelsea is not in the running for the league. The season is going to throw up a number of challenges and it will be the side with the consistency of performane which will win it. On a given day are we the best side? I would say yes but I think that was also the case last year when we fell sadly short. For example no team last year touched our first half performance at Old Trafford but a side like Chelsea, without shining so bright, proved more durable and resolute over the season.

Danny Murphy still banging on about Mane "innocently going for the ball to touch it around the keeper"

Us doing well could prompt widescale change in the way we think about football in this country.

Right now we're seeing a lot of Jose Vs Pep talk, and critically for me the divide in punditry opinion (outside of obvious bias) seems to be old school dinosaurs vs progressive thinkers.

Most people who talk about our defence played or managed in football at their peaks prior to 2005 or so. Also known as the year football changed from an offside trap heavyset physical game to a less physical possesion orientated game.

Now whilst we're still obviously vulnerable from counter attacks, that's kinda the point. The idea with our play is that we completely restrict opponents by dominating possession and pinning them deep with pressing (another post 2005 development). So sure we're vulnerable, but we don't concede chances to expose that vulnerability.

Most pundits here are experts in the old two banks of four, kick the shit out of your opponent kind of play. Attrition is the name of the game. That's why they're so OK with the Mane incident. Because that's what they did on the regular (as they like to pretend anyway). And a lot of them did it to great success. That's why our play is alien to them. Because if what they did worked and what we're doing is different, then by default (in their eyes) it's wrong.

It's no coincidence that newer pundits don't tend to hark on about our defence quite as much. Because they tend to get it. Even though most are versed in the pre-2005 football they've been exposed enough to modern football to understand why we do what we do.

Mourinho emerged before modern possession football became a major thing. So he's largely schooled on the old school physical stuff (he's adapted well enough in fairness). So obviously it's easier for pundits to relate to him.

Fortunately journos are changing their tune a bit. They're less naive and a bit less arrogant. They know that if they stay stuck in the past they'll be left there. Too many people watch non-PL football to accept PL virtues as gospel. Especially when it's a journalist peddling the line. People tend to trust pundits more for some reason.

People need to see our football work here before they'll accept it, but people in general are wising to it. If we're successful the bandwagon jumpers will champion us a bit more, which is less than ideal but it's critical for progress. Anyone who cares about the national team will hope so anyway.

As a matter of principle, if a pundit criticises a team for zonal marking then I know he knows nothing about the modern game and I ignore them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.