What's the best you've ever seen City play?

Not the best ever, but one worthy of mention, a 2 0 win at Elland Road one Boxing Day in the late 70's, when Leeds were a very good side. Seem to recall Hartford, Owen and Power dominating midfield

Leaving the rags to one side I'd go with (in no particular order)

3-1 vs Barcelona (h) last season
5-2 vs Spurs (h) in 94
2-4 vs Chelsea (a) in 11
0-6 vs Burnley (a) circa 00 when the Goat scored 5
0-5 vs West Ham (a) last season
1-5 vs Villa (a) circa 91 when Whitey scored 4
2-6 vs Wednesday (a) circa 02
1-6 vs Norwich (a) in 12
3-3 vs Newcastle (h) in 95 Kinkladze's finest hour
2-3 vs Blackburn (a) circa 94
2-2 vs Liverpool (a) circa 91 where we played them off the park but needed a 93rd minute header from Quinny to get a point
4-0 vs Leeds (h) circa 92

That's a good list; although I didn't see the Wednesday game.

Your memory for this sort of thing is better than mine. I know I saw some brilliant performances in the 70's; do I remember the completeness of the performances!? There was the game where we absolutely battered Newcastle 5-1 in 1975 and Tueart scored a hat-trick.

Another favourite is beating Oxford 4-1 in 1997 at The Manor; another Kinky masterclass being part of the show.

Some of our best performances have come against the Rags - 4-0 home and 4-1 away in the early 70's stand out among those not yet mentioned. The pick of the bunch for me is the 1-0 that basically decided the title.

The recent 6-0 at Watford would go on the list. Our recent football has at times been at least as good as anything I have seen from City in 50 years of supporting the Blues and I am optimistic that better is to come but, having been a Blue that long, I never take anything for granted.

Last edited:
The second half of the (i think) league cup game when Kompany got sent off after about 10 minutes for being a defender and we went 3-0 down. Even though we got beat by the scum and knocked out of a competition i remember just being really happy with the performance second half. One of my favourites.

We completely played the shits off the park with 10 men.

One from years ago that sticks in my head is when we beat Spurs 5-2. I remember it being fantastic football from both sides and incredibly attacking free flowing football. Either that or my memory is playing tricks on me.

0 0 at home Vs Liverpool under Sven was as good a defensive performance I've seen from us.

The two derbies that season I also thought were great team performances

Leaving the rags to one side I'd go with (in no particular order)

3-1 vs Barcelona (h) last season
5-2 vs Spurs (h) in 94
2-4 vs Chelsea (a) in 11
0-6 vs Burnley (a) circa 00 when the Goat scored 5
0-5 vs West Ham (a) last season
1-5 vs Villa (a) circa 91 when Whitey scored 4
2-6 vs Wednesday (a) circa 02
1-6 vs Norwich (a) in 12
3-3 vs Newcastle (h) in 95 Kinkladze's finest hour
2-3 vs Blackburn (a) circa 94
2-2 vs Liverpool (a) circa 91 where we played them off the park but needed a 93rd minute header from Quinny to get a point
4-0 vs Leeds (h) circa 92
Good shout most of them, I'll add in Ipswich away Benarbia and Berkovic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.