Sergio Aguero - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
" Bottler" ... i had to look up the meaning of that. Seems like another extension to the very broad and creative football lexicon apparently existing in England. Is there a big difference between this term and a "flat track bully" ?

To be fair, it seems to me that those terms were more invented for banter reasons than to better convey information regarding football players.

Funny how in that thread Sergio gets compared to the arguably more all round Jesus and then devaluated for not being so all round. Stupid argument imho, a player that excells in certain specialty's can often be more effective than a more all round player.

Aguerro always had insane movement combined with great finishing for me. Jesus is a great all round striker especially at his age, but i don't think he has that insane cat like agilety and movement of Aguero for one, but then his movement was also something i always dreaded to no end when i played fooball manager teams against city as he was pretty much unstoppable when he had the least bit of space.

Last edited:
So according to @FCBarca on ragcafe agueros a bottler...

He's the leading scorer in City's history yet dropped from the NT. I'm also fairly sure the Monaco tie last season made Pep's mind up to pursue Alexis and him getting benched surely reflected that. What does that say about Kun that it remains a position he considers upgrading?

He's the leading scorer in City's history yet dropped from the NT. I'm also fairly sure the Monaco tie last season made Pep's mind up to pursue Alexis and him getting benched surely reflected that. What does that say about Kun that it remains a position he considers upgrading?

I don't disagree with you with your final point, but that would point towards a lack of ability as opposed to being a bottler. There's enough evidence of him scoring in big games, in key moments against all sorts of teams. In fact he went through a spell last season after the Jesus injury where he only scored goals that were equalisers or goals to take the lead. That says something about his mentality.

I won't deny there've been enough games where he's not done it on the big stage. Particularly in our annual Barcelona beatings. But again, is that being a bottler?

You might point to a lack of big goals in cup games, but in our last two FA Cup semi finals he scored an excellent header vs Chelsea and opened the scoring against Arsenal last year. He also scored two very crucial goals (at the time) vs Monaco last year, including one exquisite volley.

Basically, you're entitled to question his ability to succeed in this side. It's not a coincidence that Jesus is preferred as a long term option, and Alexis has been considered as a fit too. But calling him a bottler is very unfair, and something tells me you know that. There's just far too much evidence to suggest that he at the very least has it in him to step up when needed.

But if you can prove he's a bottler, I'm all ears!

What's your understanding of what the term 'bottler' means?

I wouldn't base a players ability on performances from the national team. Most players, not just Aguero seem to underperform for their respective national team. Look at Argentina, on paper they have one of the best squads yet they only just qualified for the world cup...

As for the Monaco game, Aguero wasn't the reason why we didn't qualify for the semi's.

Aguero got benched because he played in almost every game prior to Gabriel's return so he needed a rest, but carry on chatting shit and please your rag mates on rag cafe.

I don't disagree with you with your final point, but that would point towards a lack of ability as opposed to being a bottler.

I'm not sure how one could conclude a player who is scoring for his club yet cannot for his country when provided plenty of service & opportunities in high pressure situations means it's down to ability rather than bottle. I have never questioned his ability. It's actually the one thing I was curious to see with him under Pep because Guardiola is not patient with a goalscorer who can't be relied on in the biggest matches. I thought, if anyone is going to get the best out of the player (Whether it's workrate, discpline etc.), it'd be Pep

There's enough evidence of him scoring in big games, in key moments against all sorts of teams. In fact he went through a spell last season after the Jesus injury where he only scored goals that were equalisers or goals to take the lead. That says something about his mentality.

I would also have to say that had Jesus not gotten injured, Aguero would've seen even less time. Don't forget, this is the same coach who rightly put Yaya in the dog house and shipped Hart out yet many were very critical of these moves - now just a year later, no one would even question it. The sample of matches used would need to be scrutinised and the setting because the pattern I have seen from the player since he was at Atletico is that when the pressure was on, he did not deliver consistently. For me, that's the lack of bottle. I am not intimating he is poor or not a class striker, but the profile of a player for Pep is one that becomes accustomed to ultimately being ruthlessly clinical else even Zlatan wouldn't have been ultimately benched either

IBasically, you're entitled to question his ability to succeed in this side. It's not a coincidence that Jesus is preferred as a long term option, and Alexis has been considered as a fit too. But calling him a bottler is very unfair, and something tells me you know that. There's just far too much evidence to suggest that he at the very least has it in him to step up when needed.

But if you can prove he's a bottler, I'm all ears!

There was a moment, I'd have to go back to the matches to be specific on the timing, against Monaco where the look on Guardiola's face said it all for me and I believe even in the RedCafe I suggested Aguero was done at City. That undoubtedly Pep would look to upgrade the position in summer, which he unsuccessfully attempted. Things are rolling now so that may not still be the case but when you look at the player's career for both NT & club, I am not convinced that he has somehow turned a magical corner. I think he will still score plenty of goals but will he be counted on when they need a goal in a big match where it is tight?

On the NT level, he's already shown he doesn't have the bottle and that has been the case regardless of the tactical setup or coach - not forgetting that Argentina & the AFA is generally a mess. It's not even the lack of finishing that has been the biggest issue but the choices he makes, the failure to play a teammate through and instead attempt a shot from a ridiculous angle or attempt to force his way through with dribbling that even Leo doesn't. I think it's remarkable how ready Jesus is to play for Pep by comparison and how I am certain Pep trusts the young Brasilian more

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.