The Boxing thread

Miguel Cotto's final fight tonight at MSG. Probably my fav fighter of the last 15 years. Proper fighter's fighter.

Wonder how things would have worked out if Margarito didn't have loaded wraps (allegedly) and Pacquiao wasn't juiced (allegedly).

This Hughes and Yigit fight is great.
Mad how he is basically a one arm fighter.

which s basically his problem as it limits him so much. It was immediately obvious the right was being hardly thrown - if he doesn't do the business inside 3 - 4 rounds a decent opponent like the one tonight will always win through. Sad but true.

However Chantelle Cameron fought an excellent bout and was a deserved winner

Rigondeaux vs Lomachenko tomorrow night. This could well be one of the most highly skilled match ups in the recent history of the sport. Both sensational technicians.

Miguel Cotto's final fight tonight at MSG. Probably my fav fighter of the last 15 years. Proper fighter's fighter.

Wonder how things would have worked out if Margarito didn't have loaded wraps (allegedly) and Pacquiao wasn't juiced (allegedly).

No comments been made since this post last week, shame given that it was the farewell of a modern legend. The fight itself showed flashes of what made Cotto so good in his prime but over the twelve rounds it was obvious that he's slipped considerably and is well and truly right in his decision to retire after that fight. He would have chewed Ali up if anywhere near his peak.

To me the first half of the Margarito fight you mention was probably as great as Cotto has ever been in his career, that was a special performance until he slowed down and had his face broken up. I never like to comment on the hand wraps thing because ultimately no-one knows for sure whether the handwraps were loaded or not, no matter how passionately you argue the case. At the end of the day Pacquiao tore his face to pieces as well but his hands weren't loaded up. The PED argument is also not qualified with any specific fact either so again I'd avoid pinpointing handwraps and PEDs as reasons Cotto lost those fights.

He was a brilliant fighter in his prime and is easily my favourite from my time watching the sport. Seems his relevance has diminished slowly over the last few years which is a shame considering how much he has contributed to the game by being in many great fights and tough battles. Margarito twice, Mosley, Torres, Judah, Clottey, all those fights were tough, tough fights that would have taken a significant chunk out of the soul of an ordinary fighter so it's a testimony to Cotto's substance that he was able to perform to a high level until last weekend after having so many miles on the clock courtesy of all those fights. Never, ever in a bad fight. He should be celebrated and I'm sure he is in his home country.

No comments been made since this post last week, shame given that it was the farewell of a modern legend. The fight itself showed flashes of what made Cotto so good in his prime but over the twelve rounds it was obvious that he's slipped considerably and is well and truly right in his decision to retire after that fight. He would have chewed Ali up if anywhere near his peak.

To me the first half of the Margarito fight you mention was probably as great as Cotto has ever been in his career, that was a special performance until he slowed down and had his face broken up. I never like to comment on the hand wraps thing because ultimately no-one knows for sure whether the handwraps were loaded or not, no matter how passionately you argue the case. At the end of the day Pacquiao tore his face to pieces as well but his hands weren't loaded up. The PED argument is also not qualified with any specific fact either so again I'd avoid pinpointing handwraps and PEDs as reasons Cotto lost those fights.

He was a brilliant fighter in his prime and is easily my favourite from my time watching the sport. Seems his relevance has diminished slowly over the last few years which is a shame considering how much he has contributed to the game by being in many great fights and tough battles. Margarito twice, Mosley, Torres, Judah, Clottey, all those fights were tough, tough fights that would have taken a significant chunk out of the soul of an ordinary fighter so it's a testimony to Cotto's substance that he was able to perform to a high level until last weekend after having so many miles on the clock courtesy of all those fights. Never, ever in a bad fight. He should be celebrated and I'm sure he is in his home country.

Sadly he ruptured his left biceps tendon midway through last week. Normally this would sound like another defeated fighter making an excuse, but there's a photo of the injury in this week's Boxing News and you can clearly see the muscle is damaged (it's slipping up towards his shoulder - looks pretty grim). Nonetheless, still stands as one of my fav fighters of this era.

On the Pacquiao juicing debate, just ask, how many light-flys go up the divisions and heavily stop once of the best welters of a generation?

Sadly he ruptured his left biceps tendon midway through last week. Normally this would sound like another defeated fighter making an excuse, but there's a photo of the injury in this week's Boxing News and you can clearly see the muscle is damaged (it's slipping up towards his shoulder - looks pretty grim). Nonetheless, still stands as one of my fav fighters of this era.

On the Pacquiao juicing debate, just ask, how many light-flys go up the divisions and heavily stop once of the best welters of a generation?

Seen the injury, not ideal obviously it basically stopped him from being able to win anything from round 8 on. If we're honest though, Cotto was struggling well before that. Hit hard and hurt early doors, timing off, jab not nearly as authoritative as it used to be. He wasn't the same Cotto even from his previous fight when he bashed Kamegai from pillar to post.

On the juicing debate, you can ask questions and come up with what we think are probable or likely answers but ultimately there's no concrete facts. No official drugs tests were failed as far as I'm aware. Yes I know boxing has a rep for being crooked as fuck in many forms over the years but I'd rather not condemn fighters over things that haven't been scientifically proven against them. Not everyone's choice I know but it is mine. Fighters operating in multiple weight classes these days is much more commonplace though Pacquiao is an extreme example of that with the success he had with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.