How many points to win the league?

This! It would be our 5th title in 125 years. An incredible season for us and our 3rd title in 8 years. Please god we do it! I will be happy if we “just” get the title. Anything else like the league cup would be a bonus for me.

A domestic treble! Now that would be greedy!!!
2012 was 6 years ago. 3 titles in 7 seasons.

Seemingly as you put it "people would take it badly if we only won the league by three points?!?!" it can be construed numerous ways, surprisingly enough. Context is a crazy thing.

If we win the league, by any amount, everyone would be thrilled. I asked though, for arguments sake, if we won it by a close margin from such a wide margin, would people perhaps scrutinise it differently.

Not if they'd be mad if we only won it by three points with no context. That would be silly and ignorant of course.
It’d be like the game on Sunday. Liverpool went 4-1 up and it ended 4-3. They still deservedly won the game and we were shite and deserved nowt, and got nowt. They got the points and nobody will remember our “fight back” because it was when Liverpool put their slippers on and got their pipe out, they didn’t implode, we didn’t stage a great comeback. They just started thinking about their Sunday roast because the game was won.

Now, I’m not saying the title is won. It seriously isn’t and we have a lot to do before we do win it. But that’s how I’d view it, if that’s how the title went.

It’d be like the game on Sunday. Liverpool went 4-1 up and it ended 4-3. They still deservedly won the game and we were shite and deserved nowt, and got nowt. They got the points and nobody will remember our “fight back” because it was when Liverpool put their slippers on and got their pipe out, they didn’t implode, we didn’t stage a great comeback. They just started thinking about their Sunday roast because the game was won.

Now, I’m not saying the title is won. It seriously isn’t and we have a lot to do before we do win it. But that’s how I’d view it, if that’s how the title went.

Not sure if the Dippers put their slippers on or they are just shite at defending , they have thrown away several two and three game leads this season ,but if we win the league by goal difference or fifteeen points doesnt really matter ,we will be champions. The Rags have Burnley and Spuds away whilst we have Newcastle and Albion at home , there is a fair possibility the gap could be even bigger with only thirteen games to play , and there is no chance this team or manager will lose five of those games and then expect the Rags to win all theirs (including their fixtures against the Dippers and Chavs). We have all experienced "typical City" over the years and we must be the most cautious supporters in the world , and for good reason in the past , but the league is over , done and dusted , it will be interesting how Pep managers the squad in our quest to win a couple of cups to go with it.

86 will be enough, but for a change let's take the title with as big a points difference over the second team as is possible and banish any last game nerves as we have had to suffer in our last three successes. It might lessen the joy a bit but it will shut up the media critics who persistently try to find fault with us and excuses for the runners up.

Makes me smile and yes I know it's City but I'd imagine we have more points than any other team in Prem history at this point and we're discussing really how much we can afford to screw up.

Last edited:
Home matches remaining:

Newcastle, WBA, Leicester, Chelsea, Brighton, United, Swansea, Huddersfield.

Away matches remaining:

Burnley, Arsenal, Stoke, Everton, Spurs, West Ham, Southampton.

Let's say we take 6W, 2D at home and even 2W, 3D, 2L away. That's 2.5 points per game at home and 1.29 point per game away (this season we're averaging 2.82 points per game at home and 2.58 points per game away). 8W, 5D, 2L. Those results in the next 15 would project out to 73 or 74 points for a full, 38-match season.

Even under that unlikely scenario we still finish on 91 points. With our far superior goal difference practically clinching the tiebreaker for us, any title challenger would need 92, meaning:

The rags need 42 of a possible 45 points.
Liverpool need 45 of a possible 45 points.
Chelsea need 45 of a possible 45 points.
Spurs can't even mathematically reach that total.
Arsenal are irrelevant.

At this point it is about staying as healthy as possible, bringing in a player or two this month, and wrapping the title up as soon as possible to be able to play strong sides in the FA Cup and the Champions League.

This was just from Monday, but seeing as a lot of people are crunching numbers I figured I would try to save some of you some time by bumping this. In my scenario I hypothetically predicted beating Newcastle, WBA, Leicester, Brighton, Swansea, and Huddersfield while drawing with Chelsea and the rags in our remaining home fixtures.

For our away games, I played devil's advocate and looked at worst case (not literally) scenario of beating Stoke and Southampton, drawing with Burnley, Everton, and West Ham, and losing to Arsenal and Spurs.

Edit: The rags won their game a few hours after I posted this so I've amended that they need 42 of a possible 45 rather than 45 of a possible 48.

This was just from Monday, but seeing as a lot of people are crunching numbers I figured I would try to save some of you some time by bumping this. In my scenario I hypothetically predicted beating Newcastle, WBA, Leicester, Brighton, Swansea, and Huddersfield while drawing with Chelsea and the rags in our remaining home fixtures.

For our away games, I played devil's advocate and looked at worst case (not literally) scenario of beating Stoke and Southampton, drawing with Burnley, Everton, and West Ham, and losing to Arsenal and Spurs.

Edit: The rags won their game a few hours after I posted this so I've amended that they need 42 of a possible 45 rather than 45 of a possible 48.
Think 93 is our magic number .10 wins and 1 draw OR 9 wins and 4 draws . Pep won't aim for anything less . Win on Saturday then count down each game as it comes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.