Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is probably the wrong day to say this.....after the miss it looks like a knee jerk reaction.......but I feel we need an upgrade to Sterling.
He has had a really good season.....playing in a fabulous side and is responsible for a fair number of points with his goals, but I feel a player like Mahrez would have had at least a similar number of goals and assists because of the way we play.
His main asset is his pace.....but his first touch, ball control and even his finishing are poor.......he struggles to strike a ball correctly ( even though we are all extremely thankful,a number of his goals have been mishits)
When Sane is running at the defenders there is always a feeling that he will end up with a goal or a cross that provides a chance ( even though he can frustrate)
We are striving to be the best......he wouldn’t get into Europe elites first eleven.
I tend to agree, we could do a lot better than Sterling but I think Pep sees it as his mission to get the best out of him.

Today is probably the wrong day to say this.....after the miss it looks like a knee jerk reaction.......but I feel we need an upgrade to Sterling.
He has had a really good season.....playing in a fabulous side and is responsible for a fair number of points with his goals, but I feel a player like Mahrez would have had at least a similar number of goals and assists because of the way we play.
His main asset is his pace.....but his first touch, ball control and even his finishing are poor.......he struggles to strike a ball correctly ( even though we are all extremely thankful,a number of his goals have been mishits)
When Sane is running at the defenders there is always a feeling that he will end up with a goal or a cross that provides a chance ( even though he can frustrate)
We are striving to be the best......he wouldn’t get into Europe elites first eleven.

Just in from a night on lash......all I'm going to say is ******* unbelievable Jeff. Why not part exchange him in summer?!

Watch this ffs

And just to add he has 14 f-in goals this season with Kun sitting on 17.

Last edited:
After watching the sitter a few times, and seeing some of Sterling's previous goals this season I'm not all too shocked by it, okay I am a little but there is a reason for it!

Seriously, look at his goals (too lazy go on youtube, , screw it here's a video wasn't hard), I'm pretty sure most of the season when Sterling has worked on his shooting technique (apparently with Mikel Arteta) he has been from him playing RW.

1. Most of his goals come from his right foot, not a good enough excuse, but he is clearly not comfortable shooting with his left foot. He is very comfortable with tap ins on the right with his right foot, clearly trained on this.

2. The few times he has scored with his left foot, I only found one instance (over 2 seasons based on what I found) where Sterling scored by tapping it in on the left side. Many of his goals with his left foot are not tap ins strangely, so the fact that he almost never gets in these positions (scoring on the left side with left foot) is not common to him.

At the end of the day he is a professional forward for Man City and has to bury those shots, just trying to add more to the puzzle that is Sterling's finishing ability.

Honestly now the miss i do not mind about, it happens to the best once in a while. Those saying we need an upgrade...well i suppose you are entitled to your opinion but i disagree in the strongest way possible. The chap always makes the runs and takes the ball under pressure, a bit like Silva. He also scores a good amount.

What worries me 10x more than the miss is him being constantly ignored or others not noticing his runs as much as they should. To his credit he never lets his head drop and you can see that by his alertness for his goals in the later stages. For one ignored situation i would have put a grand on him scoring or at least making the keeper pull off a worldy. Instead Gundogan chose the wrong option and shot when the path was blocked. Earlier in the season, Gundogan makes the passes when he should have, fine margins.

In general his composure in front of goal has dropped a bit. However that applies to all our forwards besides Sane before he got injured.

It is a collective malaise at the front and no one individual is screwing up. They are not even bad, they have just dropped from a level hard to maintain for an entire season. Our play is still fantastic 99.999999999% of the time, just the finishing atm.

The decision to sub Sterling off was a weird one, replacing Bernardo or Aguero would make more sense. Does anyone think that it was a knee jerk reaction from Pep? Strange, as he's usually ice cold with the logic of subs. Perhaps he wanted to give Brahim minutes without changing players' positions, as we were defending the winning score.

The decision to sub Sterling off was a weird one, replacing Bernardo or Aguero would make more sense. Does anyone think that it was a knee jerk reaction from Pep? Strange, as he's usually ice cold with the logic of subs. Perhaps he wanted to give Brahim minutes without changing players' positions, as we were defending the winning score.

I think it was but he has tried the kiss and cuddles maybe taking him off after that miss might be to see how he reacts.

Just odd that he tried to take that tap in with his left foot, uses his right and it’s impossible to miss.

Very poor finishing against Burnley and should have had a hat trick , but really it would be churlish to criticise the lad , he has saved or bacon so many times this season and until Sane and Jesus are available he will not get any respite , hopefully his recent missed chances will not affect his confidence , if he finishes up with more than 20 goals this season , then that is superb for a wide player.

Why did Pep not try switching wingers around at all like he does when Sane plays?

Decision to sub Sterling was strange considering how much he's contributed this season and the fact Bernardo did sweet FA all game.

There are very few players of his type that play better on his favoured right wing. Anyway we're not playing football manager. We need a certain number of English players. Name me one better English player who we could realistically sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.