Does Britain need nuclear weapons ?

It's just a realistic one based on the whole of history.

Its not realistic is it though. There is significant debate among politicians, insurance companies, scientists and all sorts of other people and there is no conclusive evidence on either side that one way is more dangerous than the other. What you mean is "in your opinion".

About as much as I need a bazooka to deter burglars.

Countries that don't have it include Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Portugal, Greece. Don't recall any of them being invaded since 1945. We spend vast sums on this thing we can never use, and which is in effect under Yank control anyway, and at the same time run down our conventional forces to the point where they can no longer do their job. Madness.
We could blow the shit out of France and then ,threaten the rest unless we get a good Brexit deal though, nuke the cheese eating surrendered monkeys I say ;-)

Its not realistic is it though. There is significant debate among politicians, insurance companies, scientists and all sorts of other people and there is no conclusive evidence on either side that one way is more dangerous than the other. What you mean is "in your opinion".

One backed by the empirical evidence of human history and conflict between the major powers before nuclear weapons, and after. Yes, an opinion, but a fairly obvious one to draw. If you want to place your faith in th goodwill of man, that's up to you, but it's not normally a sensible defence policy.

But even so, they are reliant on the umbrella provided by the US, UK and France. So ok, that's great, and we could get rid of ours too, right? Well maybe, but then there's the question - if they're invaded, who's prepared to threaten nuclear war on their behalf? What if we decide they're not worth the risk? Oh yes, they're stuffed. Totally stuffed. Maybe we'd back them up. But that's up to us, not them. They're reliant on our goodwill.

Now who wants to be totally reliant on France and the US for our security? Anyone?

I don't think Russia has the need, the will, the money or the resource to launch an invasion of Europe. Russia was invaded itself by western european countries four times between 1800 and 1941, hence their own perception that it's actually us that pose the threat. So long as NATO and the EU resists the urge form any closer ties with the countries directly on Russia's doorstep then, regardless of Nuclear weapons, it's in everyone's best interest to maintain an awkward but peaceful relationship. It was the EU seeking the Association Agreement with Ukraine that ramped up tensions and led to the annexation of Crimea, and even if you don't approve of what they did, it's completely understandable why the Russians felt they had no choice but to do that. I think NATO and the EU also understand that Russia's hand was forced in that respect, hence the subsequent sanctions being relatively tame and more for show than anything.

Ultimately, we're all reliant on each other in one way or another these days.

I don't think Russia has the need, the will, the money or the resource to launch an invasion of Europe. Russia was invaded itself by western european countries four times between 1800 and 1941, hence their own perception that it's actually us that pose the threat. So long as NATO and the EU resists the urge form any closer ties with the countries directly on Russia's doorstep then, regardless of Nuclear weapons, it's in everyone's best interest to maintain an awkward but peaceful relationship. It was the EU seeking the Association Agreement with Ukraine that ramped up tensions and led to the annexation of Crimea, and even if you don't approve of what they did, it's completely understandable why the Russians felt they had no choice but to do that. I think NATO and the EU also understand that Russia's hand was forced in that respect, hence the subsequent sanctions being relatively tame and more for show than anything.

Ultimately, we're all reliant on each other in one way or another these days.

We could debate that, but it's fine, it's a view. Two questions: do you think Russia would have done that in Ukraine had they not relinquished their post Soviet nuclear weapons, and do you know what the position will be in 25 years time? Once you give them up, you can't magic them back.

No. But it’s pretty much all we have left when it comes to giving us a bit of swagger on the world stage.

It’s a lot of money for a costume prop mind.

You are right that will never happen so should we get rid of the Navy as well?

The Navy has no threat and costs billions, on the same argument we should get rid.

We're an island and any ground force that ever wanted to land here would need to come in through air and sea. The Navy and Air Force are immensely important.

A missile designed never to be fired, that could not be fired, against an enemy that couldn't exist, in a world where such a war couldn't possibly happen is not actually worth any money at all.

I guess you could make a case, if facing a lunatic attack, like a nazi attack..that releasing a few mega tonne type nuclear bombs trying to blow up the opposition, though of course your particular nation would perish before hand, could still be worthwhile.. if your allies were to somehow win out the ensuing conflict. Hindsight is 20-20. If we have to kill millions of civilians on our way out, then I guess most people would say it aint worth firing any rockets.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.