At what point do we have a real fixture congestion???

Eliminate the internationals.
I don't see why one round of qualifying games can't decide who goes to the World Cup and the Euros. More or less halving the number of games played over a four year period.
I agree - qualifiers should be a few rounds of knockout games rather than a mini league. International football these days is a pain in dass.

We could swap ties with the rags so they play Southampton and we (or Wigan) play Brighton. If Wigan win it's a standard quarter final, but if we win it counts as a cup tie and league match at the same time. Not sure the PL or FA would agree.

I agree - qualifiers should be a few rounds of knockout games rather than a mini league. International football these days is a pain in dass.
No fan of international breaks but every country has them, if we have fixture congestion its because England doesnt manage its domestic season as well as other leagues.

IF we beat Wigan, then we could move Everton to Good Friday afternoon and play Brighton Easter Monday night game. Wasn't this standard a few years back.

The solution is blindingly obvious. The domestic season should run from Sep-Mar with all replays and 2 legged games abandoned. Those that qualify for Europe should immediately begin the European competitions in April-May (weekend and midweek games) thus ensuring that the finals played in May are from teams that have just won or competed well in their respective league, not as is currently the case with teams sometimes 12 months out of form.

Finally all international football should be played in Jun-Jul. Aug would be a rest period.

Now this might not cut down on the amount of fixtures but domestic football would not lose players to international squads not pick up injuries doing so. Also travel reductions playing purely domestic football would allow more recovery time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.