Do you still like the music you liked in your 20’s?

Ooh, i like a challenge.

Power corruption and Lies- new Order
Rem- Murmur
Billy Joel- an innocent man
U2 - War
ZZ Top- eliminator
Madness- Madness
Bob Marley and the Wailers- Confrontation
Big Country- The Crossing
Waterboys- Waterboys
Tom Waits - swordfishtrombone

Personally I think you'd have coughed up a far better argument with 1967 or 1979.........

Sgt Pepper - The Beatles
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Disraeli Gears - Cream
Are you experienced - Jimi Hendrix
The Doors - The Doors
Reach Out - Four Tops
Forever changes - Love
Piper at the gates of dawn - Pink Floyd
Songs of Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen
Axis Bold as Love - Jim Hendrix
Surrealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane

London Calling - The Clash
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Off the wall - Michael Jackson
Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
Setting Sons - The Jam
Highway to Hell - AC/DC
Rust never sleeps - Neil Young
The Specials - The Specials
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Armed Forces - Elvis Costello
Voulez Vous - Abba

Their first album ‘The Doors’ has to be one of the top 20 -30 albums made. Some of their live stuff makes for ‘ahem’ interesting listening, particularly Jimbos poetry stuff. Like and still listen to most of their albums (the exception being the soft parade which had too many poor tracks on it). Morrison certainly influenced a bunch of lead vocalists to this day.
For me the soft parade is a favourite album and 7 songs that are quality. All the doors albums have a few sketchy songs like “ I can’t see your face in my mind” wouldn’t listen to that tat if you paid me.

LA woman is probably my fave but I like them all

Personally I think you'd have coughed up a far better argument with 1967 or 1979.........

Sgt Pepper - The Beatles
Disraeli Gears - Cream
The Doors - The Doors
Reach Out - Four Tops
Forever changes - Love

The Wall - Pink Floyd
Setting Sons - The Jam
Highway to Hell - AC/DC
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Voulez Vous - Abba

Picked that year cos i was 19. I think almost any year can throw up a good list but not got time now as pub is open and matchday is about to begin. Will bang another list up later. You can even pick the year if you want.

Sgt Pepper - The Beatles
Disraeli Gears - Cream
The Doors - The Doors
Reach Out - Four Tops
Forever changes - Love

The Wall - Pink Floyd
Setting Sons - The Jam
Highway to Hell - AC/DC
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Voulez Vous - Abba

Both great years for the albums you list - Strange Days the Doors was also 67 and would be a worthy addition but then I struggle a little. 79 also had Regatta de Blanc from Police, and the B52's self named album all good albums but not sure either year has the sheer volume of great albums as 71. When I talk about depth, I mean mainstream rock, prog, singer songwriters, country. Plus the albums are recognised as pretty much the creative peak of the artist concerned (quite a few on your list absolutely are imo). This whole discussion is about personal taste so nobody is right or wrong. When I look at the years 1960 - 2000, I just think 71 stands out as quite extraordinary.

I was very much into Post-Rock in my 20s, as well as being mildly obsessed with Radiohead. Now my tastes are much heavier, and I think it has a lot to do with how I'm able to listen to music. As a student I had plenty of time to relax and listen to music, get a bit stoned, and so the the music reflected that mood; now I'm only really able to listen to music during my commutes to and from work - usually 30 mins to an hour - so I kind of go for heavier, punchier stuff that will wake me up and make the journey go quicker..

Radiohead's last couple of albums have bored the pants off me, which probably wouldn't have been the case 10-15 years ago.

Both great years for the albums you list - Strange Days the Doors was also 67 and would be a worthy addition but then I struggle a little. 79 also had Regatta de Blanc from Police, and the B52's self named album all good albums but not sure either year has the sheer volume of great albums as 71. When I talk about depth, I mean mainstream rock, prog, singer songwriters, country. Plus the albums are recognised as pretty much the creative peak of the artist concerned (quite a few on your list absolutely are imo). This whole discussion is about personal taste so nobody is right or wrong. When I look at the years 1960 - 2000, I just think 71 stands out as quite extraordinary.

As you state, it depends on your taste and what influenced you in your formative years I suppose. My teens were 77 - 83 and perhaps that engendered unconscious bias in me when it came to reflection on the early 70's, which bar The Faces, Dr Feelgood, Iggy Pop, Bowie, the New York Dolls and one or two others, I generally regarded retrospectively as an abomination. Prog rock in particular is my absolute bete noire. Rick Wakeman poncing around on an assortment of triple decker keyboards, playing 16 minute songs about forests and mystical beasts, whilst dressed as a wizard? Thanks, but no thanks. And yet having said that I own 7 albums on your original list, and I can listen to Neil Young all day long, so I guess the lines are pretty blurred!

As you state, it depends on your taste and what influenced you in your formative years I suppose. My teens were 77 - 83 and perhaps that engendered unconscious bias in me when it came to reflection on the early 70's, which bar The Faces, Dr Feelgood, Iggy Pop, Bowie, the New York Dolls and one or two others, I generally regarded retrospectively as an abomination. Prog rock in particular is my absolute bete noire. Rick Wakeman poncing around on an assortment of triple decker keyboards, playing 16 minute songs about forests and mystical beasts, whilst dressed as a wizard? Thanks, but no thanks. And yet having said that I own 7 albums on your original list, and I can listen to Neil Young all day long, so I guess the lines are pretty blurred!
Ha ha, we will never agree about music then! I love Genesis (early version) Yes, King Crimson et all. I do really like good singer songwriters that seemed to blossom in the early 70's. Neil Young, CSN, Joni, Dylan, Carol King - love them all and by god them made some good music. For my part, Punk and some of the Bands in the last 70's early 80's passed me by a little - too busy with three young kids!. I did draw the line at Rick W's solo stuff though. The Knights of King Arthur on ice was even too much for me to swallow!

I'll be 40 soon but I still listen to heavy stuff of the 90s and early 00s. Slipknot, KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, RATM mostly. I listen to them everyday. Fillers for me are Nirvana, Beastie Boys, Smashing Pumpkins, Spacehogs, Foo Fighters, every now and then I give these albums a whirl for diversity. Today's drive was to the soundtrack of Nirvana's Bleach album and I am still impressed by the technical simplicity of the drums. Classics for me would be Led Zep, Cheap Trick, The Cure,

None of the music that debuted after digital recording appeals to me, most likely because I had a spell in my late 20s not bothered with music because of this mp3 player lark. I still use my Discman to this day because I like the feel of actual CDs and their sleeves and enjoy reading the inserts of my big collection like books in a library.

I'll be 40 soon but I still listen to heavy stuff of the 90s and early 00s. Slipknot, KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, RATM mostly. I listen to them everyday. Fillers for me are Nirvana, Beastie Boys, Smashing Pumpkins, Spacehogs, Foo Fighters, every now and then I give these albums a whirl for diversity. Today's drive was to the soundtrack of Nirvana's Bleach album and I am still impressed by the technical simplicity of the drums. Classics for me would be Led Zep, Cheap Trick, The Cure,

None of the music that debuted after digital recording appeals to me, most likely because I had a spell in my late 20s not bothered with music because of this mp3 player lark. I still use my Discman to this day because I like the feel of actual CDs and their sleeves and enjoy reading the inserts of my big collection like books in a library.
Korn live are brilliant, just bought tickets for Smashing Pumpkins

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.