Do you still like the music you liked in your 20’s?

I think 1971 is the peak of rock creativity for a number of reasons - its the year a number of absolutely iconic artists broke through that would remain influential in the decades since It also has a host of albums that have stood the test of time with both music lovers and critics, and showcase the artist at their creative peak. Here is a list of my favourite 30 albums from 1971.

Can anyone beat this list for sheer quality and diversity from any other single year?

1. Zep IV
2. The man who sold the world - David Bowie
3. Hunky Dory - David Bowie
4. Pearl - Janis Joplin
5. Tapestry - Carol King
6. Every Picture Tells a Story - Rod Stewart
7.Sticky Fingers - the Stones
8. LA Woman - the Doors
9. Fragile - Yes
10. Nursery Cryme - Genesis
11. Madman across the water - Elton John
12. Cry of Love - Jimi Hendrix
13. Songs for beginners - Graham Nash
14. Imagine - John Lennon
15. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
16. Tarkus - ELP
17. ELO - The electric light orchestra
18. 4 Way Street - Crosby, stills nash and young
19. Whats going on - Marvin Gaye
20. live at the fillmore East - Allman Brothers Band
21. Can - Tago Mago
22. Songs of Love and Hate - Leonard Cohen
23. Mud Slide Slim - James Taylor
24. Blue - Joni Mitchell
25. Who's Next - the Who
26. Meddle - Pink Floyd
27. Electric Warrior - T Rex
28. Fog on the Tyne - Lindisfarne
29. Fireball - Deep Purple
30. Nilsson Schmilsson - Harry Nilsson

Also excellent albums from 71:
The Carpenters - Carpenters
Theres a Riot Going On - Sly and the family stone
Pictures at an Exhibition - ELP
Surfs Up - Beach Boys
Ram - Paul and Linda Mcartney
Concert for Bangladesh - George Harrison
Inner Mounting Flame - Mahivishnu orchestra
Anticipation - Carly Simon
Coat of Many Colours - Dolly Parton
Masters of Reality - Black Sabbath
Teaser and the Firecat - Cat Stevens
Killer - Alice Cooper
Wildlife - Wings
America - America
EGBDF - the Moody Blues
Runt - Tod Rundgren
A nods as good as a wink...- The Faces
the Yes album - Yes
Shaft - Isaac Hayes
Dog of two Heads - Status Quo

Ooh, i like a challenge.

Power corruption and Lies- new Order
Rem- Murmur
Billy Joel- an innocent man
U2 - War
ZZ Top- eliminator
Madness- Madness
Bob Marley and the Wailers- Confrontation
Big Country- The Crossing
Waterboys- Waterboys
Tom Waits - swordfishtrombone

Depends on how we’re defining rock really. If it’s ‘classic heavy rock’ then you’re probably right. However, as that list above includes artists as diverse as Marvin Gaye, Carole King, Bowie and Lennon, then with Motown at its peak and The Beatles, The Stones, The Beach Boys, The Who, Love, Simon & Garfunkel and Dylan all turning out stunning albums, any one of 65, 66 or 67 could stake a claim, as could 77, 78, 79 or 80 with punk, ska, reggae, disco and new wave all roaring along and indie in its infancy. The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, The Specials, Elvis Costello, Joy Division, Bob Marley and Springsteen all made great records in that period, and I’m sure you could chuck in a few heavier numbers from that period as well to bolster its claims (Back in Black maybe, or The Wall?)

Pete Towsend refers to the Who's music as, 'Power Pop'

1992 I fell in love with the Doors and still my favourite band to this day. I’m going to see this tribute band in April I love them That much.

Tell me this guy doesn’t exactly sound like jim ?
!

1992 I fell in love with the Doors and still my favourite band to this day. I’m going to see a tribute band in April I love them That much.
That’s over 20 years after Jim Morrison died. Great band. What attracted you to them?

That’s over 20 years after Jim Morrison died. Great band. What attracted you to them?

I just loved the music, the lyrics , the sound, It just calls to me. A mixture of rock blues, electric. Even now they inspire other bands. I remember hearing a few of the indie bands in the late 80s early 90s and think they took loads from the doors

His voice is extraordinary too

I just loved the music, the lyrics , the sound, It just calls to me. A mixture of rock blues, electric. Even now they inspire other bands. I remember hearing a few of the indie bands in the late 80s early 90s and think they took loads from the doors
Their first album ‘The Doors’ has to be one of the top 20 -30 albums made. Some of their live stuff makes for ‘ahem’ interesting listening, particularly Jimbos poetry stuff. Like and still listen to most of their albums (the exception being the soft parade which had too many poor tracks on it). Morrison certainly influenced a bunch of lead vocalists to this day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.