Liverpool v City 1st leg CL Qtr Final post match

Terrible result, even worse performance.

The scoreline is generous to us. They humiliated us and made it look easy. Pep got it badly wrong today. I cannot understand why we didn't bring a left-back on for Laporte, particularly towards the end of the game when we needed to score. Poor Sane was forced to try and take on 3 players alone. No overlapping runs from Laporte (which is to be expected considering that he is a centre-half). Infuriatingly, we tried to attack down that left flank over and over again despite being outnumbered and receiving no encouragement. On the right we at least had Walker and Sterling (towards the end), but we barely tried that avenue. In fact, it looked like we were happy to take the 3-0, which is just crazy. Had we scored just one lousy goal then we'd have given ourselves a fighting chance.

The Gundogan experiment is baffling. You don't experiment like that in possibly the toughest and most important fixture of the season. It was reckless and ultimately not only fruitless but suicidal. They ran past the jogging German like he wasn't even there. He didn't look interested and he didn't even seem to want to give the appearance that he was making an effort. It's fine experimenting like this in league fixtures against lesser teams, but not in a vital knock-out Champions League tie.

I'd like to say that we improved in the second half, but I can't really say that we did. We certainly had more of the ball and conceded fewer chances, but I put that more down to the fact that Liverpool had expended most their energy in the first half and were happy to sit back given the scoreline. In fact, despite having less possession, they still had the better chances in the second half. We couldn't craft a single good opportunity in over 90 minutes.

Ultimately, Pep's team selection and tactics didn't even give us a chance. Unless we perform miracles at home, this will put a damper on an otherwise brilliant season. The derby just became even more important.

The only positive, it's saved me shit loads of money on a Semi & Final, nothing else to say really.....

my feelings aswell haha. I was working a budget out to see how I can get a grand before May and checking the best credit card rates. ah well Madrid is alot cheaper to get to than the Ukraine for next year

A lot of hysteria on here tonight
People seem to forget how good this team has been this season.
Until their first goal (offside!) we had been well in control
We had a perfectly good goal chalked off for offside
Things could have been v different
We are still in this...remember the 5-0?

At least he wanted the ball and was willing to try something. Didn't come off for him but find it amazing of all the performances the one guy who seemed willing to have a go gets the stick.
They all deserve stick mate, total bottle performance again at klanfield, hate to say it but mouriniho gave pep the blue print to beat the dippers but no pep would rather his way, rather than it's the result that matters not the pretty patterns

Most disappointing thing was that we didnt even try to change the tactics. We did improve some what but not alot. I think it was evident in the first half that sane wasnt finding any joy against their rb but we persisted with that fruitlessly. Subtitution was to late aswell. Should have been at half time. I still think we can go through to the semis though

Well I'm not giving up!
We beat them 5 0 In September.
Grab an early goal, take it to extra time and then win it on penalties.
Anyway 4 0 2nd leg.

Sterling did ok. Sané, Silva, Fernandinho, Kompany, Gundogan and Jesus were awful. KDB was very sloppy, but kept at it. Why didn’t Sané go past the full back? Every time he came inside and squared it. The young full back was their weak link, but was never troubled. Awful, awful performance.
I think you missed out Walker, absolute shocker tonight, agree with the rest.

Blimey that was a tough watch. Pep got it wrong unfortunately, we needed Sterling on from the start to push robertson back, Gundogan once again gave us fuck all I really think he needs moving on this summer. Also what must Bernardo be thinking he deserved Pep’s trust for this game if Sterling wasn’t going to play. Just a strange decision all round.

We need to get ourselves together let’s win the derby and if nothing else regain some pride next week. Come on blues!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.