It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Savic
I question the wisdom of going into the season again without a truly world class winger who has a lot of goals in him. Sane and Sterling aren't going to light up things like the kind of wingers of UCL last 4 quality do. Especially UCL winners.

Not sure how Mahrez is good enough to be that player for us.
Humor me, who is the Bayern, Real, or Roma winger lighting things up?

Savic

Robben, Ribery, Bale. I don't know of one at Roma. And the two Bayern lads, although quality are too old for us now.

We don't necessarily need a winger, but I do think we need to shop at the very top to win the CL. Good players cost £50m+ these days, but we need to sign a couple of great players: one or two of Mbappe, Bale, Salah, Hazard, Kane, Milinkovic-Savic, Arturo Vidal, Casemiro, Lewandowski level players. One in midfield, one up front.

Robben, Ribery, Bale. I don't know of one at Roma. And the two Bayern lads, although quality are too old for us now.

We don't necessarily need a winger, but I do think we need to shop at the very top to win the CL. Good players cost £50m+ these days, but we need to sign a couple of great players: one or two of Mbappe, Bale, Salah, Hazard, Kane, Milinkovic-Savic, Arturo Vidal, Casemiro, Lewandowski level players. One in midfield, one up front.
If we supported another club I think we would be including Silva, Aguero, KDB and possibly Fernandinho in that list. I don't think we're bereft of great players, and virtually every one of our "good players" is under 23 and will improve.

Savic

I think it's a little naive to use clubs like Roma as some justification to why we don't need the type of winger I spoke about.

There are practically no other clubs which insist on the way we play and hence aren't reliant as much on Incredible talent, especially going forward. Man City needs world class players to do what Pep wants if we are to win the UCL. Obviously UEFA is bent, but we have to assume we can't do anything about that and can only rely on overwhelming the opposition with our quality. Signing players of Mahrez level quality isn't going to win us the UCL any time soon.

Signing players like Fred and Mahrez is really going to be underwhelming from my perspective. If this club wants to be a regular last 4 or UCL winner, it has to go beyond. Simple as.

If Pep Guardiola was a tactically flexible enough manager in that he could do more than just high level positional play to sometimes accommodate the level of our players compared to the opposition (such as not forcing the defense to play possession football when it clearly isn't up at the level to break the press from Liverpool properly), then maybe Mahrez type players would be good enough. But since Pep isn't and always demands the toughest of things from his players irrespective of situation or opposition, he needs to be given the best quality.

In this sense I have grown an appreciation for a manager like Heynckes who did make Bayern play possession football for a good part of the season, but when it came to the business end where players might be bit more fatigued he now switched back to a simple counter attack despite having such great quality in the squad. This really is remarkable management. Adapting to the situation and opposition based on what you have and what you can do at best, even if it means not doing what you're used to doing regularly.

I can't even begin to imagine the heights Guardiola could reach if he hasn't already the day he incorporates this kind of system wide flexibility in his methods. Until then, just sign really really really good players. We already have a great number of young players who are yet to reach their potential and this needs to be buttressed with more experienced established world class players. Especially with likes of Dinho, Kompany and David etc nearing close to their expiry dates in a year or two at best.

I don’t think we will go for a striker.

If we do it will mean we have 3 players for 1 position and if it is a quality acquisition the chances of Jesus getting a game are slim.

I think a reliable goal scoring winger is more likely, that’s why Sanchez was wanted so badly.

I would go all out for Hazard if I was Pep.

I don’t think we will go for a striker.

If we do it will mean we have 3 players for 1 position and if it is a quality acquisition the chances of Jesus getting a game are slim.

I think a reliable goal scoring winger is more likely, that’s why Sanchez was wanted so badly.

I would go all out for Hazard if I was Pep.

Fair enough, that would do if we can get the right quality in. Better quality than Fred and Mahrez.

Sanchez would have seemed good value at 500k a week if we'd wrapped up the title on Saturday and went on to win the CL. Oh well.

Hazard would be a fabulous signing, agreed!

I think it's a little naive to use clubs like Roma as some justification to why we don't need the type of winger I spoke about.

There are practically no other clubs which insist on the way we play and hence aren't reliant as much on Incredible talent, especially going forward. Man City needs world class players to do what Pep wants if we are to win the UCL. Obviously UEFA is bent, but we have to assume we can't do anything about that and can only rely on overwhelming the opposition with our quality. Signing players of Mahrez level quality isn't going to win us the UCL any time soon.

Signing players like Fred and Mahrez is really going to be underwhelming from my perspective. If this club wants to be a regular last 4 or UCL winner, it has to go beyond. Simple as.

If Pep Guardiola was a tactically flexible enough manager in that he could do more than just high level positional play to sometimes accommodate the level of our players compared to the opposition (such as not forcing the defense to play possession football when it clearly isn't up at the level to break the press from Liverpool properly), then maybe Mahrez type players would be good enough. But since Pep isn't and always demands the toughest of things from his players irrespective of situation or opposition, he needs to be given the best quality.

In this sense I have grown an appreciation for a manager like Heynckes who did make Bayern play possession football for a good part of the season, but when it came to the business end where players might be bit more fatigued he now switched back to a simple counter attack despite having such great quality in the squad. This really is remarkable management. Adapting to the situation and opposition based on what you have and what you can do at best, even if it means not doing what you're used to doing regularly.

I can't even begin to imagine the heights Guardiola could reach if he hasn't already the day he incorporates this kind of system wide flexibility in his methods. Until then, just sign really really really good players. We already have a great number of young players who are yet to reach their potential and this needs to be buttressed with more experienced established world class players. Especially with likes of Dinho, Kompany and David etc nearing close to their expiry dates in a year or two at best.
Haha! I see you’re posting nonsense again after being outed on the booing thread as a glory hunter from afar. Seems like you should have chosen another side to cling onto as I don’t think City is for you.

Haha! I see you’re posting nonsense again after being outed on the booing thread as a glory hunter from afar. Seems like you should have chosen another side to cling onto as I don’t think City is for you.
Care to link the posts that supposedly outed me as a glory hunter from afar? Very curious.

While you're at it, do you have any intelligent argument against what I said about our recruitment, or is that too much to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.