Jadon Sancho

That's Liverpool level of delusion mate, I'm sorry to say.

It's great for kids from Africa who are not quite good enough to play in top leagues & can use City to get them in at clubs around europe, it's absolutely useless for kids like Sancho, who are aiming to be elite footballers.

They want to play for City, in the Premier League. They sign for CITY. How many of the loan players have so far come back to play for City ?

Pat Roberts still, will be hoping to play for City, even now. If he doesn't get the chance, he won't be bitter, as he got to play for Celtic, but he will know that he could have just missed us out, as Sancho knows, hence he did so & signed for Dortmund.

We saw a glimpse of Foden's ability yesterday, & it's quite obvious he could be playing regular football at a decent level. Hopefully he will get more opportunites, but there is no guarantee that his appearences next season, won't be limited to a few League Cup games, even under Pep. If Pellegrini was still here, he'd be lucky to get that & that is the reputation City have built; as one of the last places on earth, a kid will get games.

Sancho is already doing it now & is an example to other kids, that they might be better giving us a miss & going straight to a club which wants to develop them into their first team.

What Pep does with Foden & Diaz, will probably decide how many more Sanchos come to City & stay, or leave City in the near future, or don't sign in the first place.

Foden & Diaz as well as a few others, are our opportunity to redeem our reputation.
You call me delusional but i am pretty sure our youth can count that 11 players will play and city have hundreds, and i can see you have followed the rag media propaganda that city`s youth is failing because we have prioritized winning , good for you because the truth is the opposite.
City have spent 100`s of millions on the best youth facilities the best youth coaching the best youth players with the aim to improve the players when they get to an age where they are capable of playing league football they go on loan with a view to proving they are good enough to play for us.
When Rodwell won the league with us what do you think it meant to him,? his only major trophy to prove to his grand kids he was once a top player and it will mean the same to Foden,
As for redeeming our reputation , we have a major competitor in Chelsea who nave similar style, but look at Englands youth over the summer very successful and most players out of these 2 academies as it was with Ajax and Holland players talk and they want to come to city we have nothing to redeem we are the best place for kids who want to get to the top

You call me delusional but i am pretty sure our youth can count that 11 players will play and city have hundreds, and i can see you have followed the rag media propaganda that city`s youth is failing because we have prioritized winning , good for you because the truth is the opposite.
City have spent 100`s of millions on the best youth facilities the best youth coaching the best youth players with the aim to improve the players when they get to an age where they are capable of playing league football they go on loan with a view to proving they are good enough to play for us.
When Rodwell won the league with us what do you think it meant to him,? his only major trophy to prove to his grand kids he was once a top player and it will mean the same to Foden,
As for redeeming our reputation , we have a major competitor in Chelsea who nave similar style, but look at Englands youth over the summer very successful and most players out of these 2 academies as it was with Ajax and Holland players talk and they want to come to city we have nothing to redeem we are the best place for kids who want to get to the top

Exactly, when we had no money (and little ambition), we had to promote from within and none of those players did a Paul Warhurst. What a ridiculous comment "Redeem our reputation".

Big old topic this one. It's probably the most interesting on the forum. Imo, Sancho was overindulged when he was at City. Diaz was, too, but he had the excuse of not being a natural whatever. Which I think is a bit of a disadvantage even in a young player. Sancho used to hog the ball because he could and the games were a bit too easy until he came up against the best. Diaz used to run the ball come what may and was a bit predictable and way too much of a head down Duracell bunny. Why did the academy not correct the style of play of these two players? Other players stood out for their consistent efforts to play in the team: Foden especially but also Smith and others. One of the coaches of Borussia Dortmund commented that Sancho had to lose some bad habits on the field. I think the idea that football clubs should produce lots of players for their first team from their academies is a bit fanciful. It doesn't actually happen that often. In any job people learn more when they move around a bit. Why shouldn't it be true for footballers? In Sancho's case, I suspect that the exemplary German team merely saw an opportunity to make a lot of money double quick by signing up this talented English kid, polishing him up a bit, and turning him over for big quick bucks by playing him in their safe, soft league. But fair play, they only want to give youth its chance. Sancho probably saw a way to ride that wave and cash in early like others have done before him. But let's not forget that Borussia Dortmund are a really ethical club. Yeah, right. Whichever way you look at it, City either don't care too much whether they produce players for the first team, or are really bad at it. But I'm kind of glad we don't ethically give kids a chance like some clubs.

Last edited:
Exactly, when we had no money (and little ambition), we had to promote from within and none of those players did a Paul Warhurst. What a ridiculous comment "Redeem our reputation".
I am not sure you know just how accurate you are . when city were shit we had the record for the most players brought though the youth ranks to play in the top flight.
Last year utd media announced they had 44,000 minutes played by the academy players played in the top flight, city had about half that a mid table position, just a stick to hit city`s youth policy, it failed as not a single minute was played in the top four.
They also had Rashford the England poster boy, but that failed as too much too young ruined him
they also had Lingard who at the tender age of 24 made his appearance. no young kid is looking at him and saying i will follow that path,
city have a youth ban and whilst that was on utd went out and bought Huddersfields youth to boost their failing academy
and then their is Sancho not the first to leave nor the last just a stick to beat us with, I agree with him, he is not good enough for us now and if we keep winning never will be,and I have watched him this year
But the most important thing is how we compare with other teams at bringing youth through, last year we were just above average in the league and one of the better teams in the champion league, which is a phenomenal performance of balance and foresight by our director of football

Who is Foden going to be playing instead of? If you believe what you read we're interested in signing another midfielder.
Are we having a bet or not?

He will play in front of anyone he merits playing in front of.

Who is Foden going to be playing instead of? If you believe what you read we're interested in signing another midfielder.
Signing a DM would not affect Foden`s playing time, only Fernandinho`s and maybe Gundogan`s.

I am not sure you know just how accurate you are . when city were shit we had the record for the most players brought though the youth ranks to play in the top flight.
Last year utd media announced they had 44,000 minutes played by the academy players played in the top flight, city had about half that a mid table position, just a stick to hit city`s youth policy, it failed as not a single minute was played in the top four.
They also had Rashford the England poster boy, but that failed as too much too young ruined him
they also had Lingard who at the tender age of 24 made his appearance. no young kid is looking at him and saying i will follow that path,
city have a youth ban and whilst that was on utd went out and bought Huddersfields youth to boost their failing academy
and then their is Sancho not the first to leave nor the last just a stick to beat us with, I agree with him, he is not good enough for us now and if we keep winning never will be,and I have watched him this year
But the most important thing is how we compare with other teams at bringing youth through, last year we were just above average in the league and one of the better teams in the champion league, which is a phenomenal performance of balance and foresight by our director of football

Wants important is winning trophies and lots of them. Look at the Spuds, look at the rags, dippers, gooners and chelski. Look at every top team in europe and aside from the Pep Barcelona team, you will find youth players are a rarity as the mainstay of their teams. We are no different, infact, we are way ahead of most of them.

Signing a DM would not affect Foden`s playing time, only Fernandinho`s and maybe Gundogan`s.

If we are as successful as we hope to be we are looking at 60+ games a season, there's plenty of playing time for everyone.

Look at every top team in europe and aside from the Pep Barcelona team, you will find youth players are a rarity as the mainstay of their teams. We are no different, infact, we are way ahead of most of them.

[Citation Needed]

Academy players in Matchday squads of European Champions in the Champions League Final.

Real Madrid 2017 - 4 - Carvajal, Casilla, Nacho, Morata
Real Madrid 2016 - 5 - Carvajal, Jesé, Lucas Vazquez, Casilla, Nacho
Barcelona 2015 - 9 - Pique, Alba, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Bartra, Rafinha, Pedro.
Real Madrid 2014 - 4 - Casillas, Carvajal, Morata, Arbeloa.
Bayern 2013 - 4 -Lahm, Kroos, Alaba, Schweinsteiger.
Chelsea 2012 - 1 - Bertrand (Terry suspended).
Barca 2011 - 10 -Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Thiago, Bojan.
Inter 2010 - 0
Barca 2009 - 10 - Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Muniesa, Bojan, Pedro.
United 2008 - 4 -Scholes, Brown, Fletcher, Giggs.
Milan 2007 - 3 -Maldini, Oddo, Brocchi.
Barcelona 2006 - 5 - Valdes, Puyol, Jorquera, Xavi, Iniesta.
Liverpool 2005 - 2 - Carragher, Gerrard.
Porto 2004 - 3 - Baía, Costa, Carvalho.
Milan 2003 - 3 - Maldini, Brocchi, Costacurta.
Real Madrid 2002 - 4 - Raúl, Pavon, Casillas, Guti

So that's starting or on the bench for the most important game of the season.

Quite the opposite of being a rarity, pretty much every European champion of recent times has had a few academy players. We're miles away from being at an average level of youth involvement, let alone being "way ahead".

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.