Greater Manchester Mayoral Elections 2024

Eccles Blue

I looked and couldn't find a thread for this. But if Mods say it's wrong I'm sure they'll move it. :-)

I've just received in the post (yes my post does come as late as this sometimes) the Electoral addresses for all the Greater Manchester Mayoral Candidates and have had a good laugh at Andy Burnham's first line:

'At a time when the country has gone backwards, Greater Manchester has been leading the way.'

That could be taken two ways I guess but my immediate thought was.... leading the way backwards?

He does go on to sort of change my thought on GM leading the way backward but you know what they say, first impressions can linger!!

Just my daft sense of humour I guess but Andy should be more careful about his communications. :-) :-)

Last edited:
The GMCA has been the lowest common denominator approach in a lot of areas.

They pour loads of money into non-statutory "priorities" whilst the districts are struggling more than ever to meet their statutory duties. GM has lots of deprivation, it isn't improving, yet the house prices and rents are rocketing, and it is now getting very dystopian. A lot is macro-economic, but the GMCA has probably made things worse with its mayoral and deputy mayoral priorities at odds with the districts priorities.

Reactions: PPT

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.