10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

He strolls backs and offers little defensively. Alvarez showed how to do that when he went off covering for Guardiol. Breaking up play with free kicks is ok but zero creativity and lacks pace . His stats don't lie.
I don't think he was great today, but I do think that's an unfair criticism.

One thing I noticed was that when we lost the ball in attacking areas he could often be seen sprinting back up to the halfway line - although we generally won it back before it could get anywhere near his part of the pitch, he was cutting off the long pass in behind him while making sure not to play any runners onside. When we won it back, he ran forward again, and when Forest retained the ball he continued tracking back and was quickly joined by our defence.

That's a thankless and unglamorous responsibility that in a lot of ways doesn't play to his strengths, but he kept at it and that's what gave Gvardiol the cover to press forward.

His whole time at the club he's played in front of a load of players who aren't primarily left-backs but who have all done well in the role - that's mostly on the flexibility and intelligence of our defence of course, but there's something to be said for playing behind a winger who'll accept the ball under any pressure and cover for you when you go forward.

I thought he'd be pulled at half time and Doku moved over as both were getting nothing right.
Jack only seems to go to ground or gets his attempts to cross blocked, not saying some were not fouls but you almost expect it rather than the ball getting crossed.
They were both really poor as wingers today. Doku was worse than Grealish defensively, so it wasn’t a surprise that he was hooked first.

Having said that, there was an argument to take them both off at half time.

i wonder which one of the two weren’t playing before Phil got sick.

They were both really poor as wingers today. Doku was worse than Grealish defensively, so it wasn’t a surprise that he was hooked first.

Having said that, there was an argument to take them both off at half time.

i wonder which one of the two weren’t playing before Phil got sick.
Agree with your opinion, probably Jack was playing and whether he would have been as poor we can only guess, if he was then Doku would have come on for him

He's often lauded for his defensive work and not giving the ball away which gets him a pass for offering little to nothing as an attacking threat but he's not even offering that right now. Gave it away more than anybody else in blue first half and numerous times he left Williams to ghost in at the back post. Alvarez who I don't typically trust to play left wing due to his relatively poor first touch did a much better job out there going both ways.

Gave it away more than anybody else in blue first half
Absolute unmitigated bollocks and you know it. But I don’t know why I bite as you and a few other of the usual suspects on here would quite happily see Grealish shipped off for good tomorrow.

Making shit up to have a dig at a player in blue is the kind of low I expect on here.

Absolute unmitigated bollocks and you know it. But I don’t know why I bite as you and a few other of the usual suspects on here would quite happily see Grealish shipped off for good tomorrow.

Making shit up to have a dig at a player in blue is the kind of low I expect on here.
I suggest you go and watch the game again, he constantly gave the ball away in the first half. He wasn't alone, virtually the entire team did the same hence why we were so crap and I've commented on that in other threads too but you wouldn't see that as you and the few other obsessives that reside here only ever seem to have anything to say about grealish and aren't particularly interested in city.

I suggest you go and watch the game again, he constantly gave the ball away in the first half. He wasn't alone, virtually the entire team did the same hence why we were so crap and I've commented on that in other threads too but you wouldn't see that as you and the few other obsessives that reside here only ever seem to have anything to say about grealish and aren't particularly interested in city.
Do you think he had the worst pass completion of the team yesterday?

Do you think he had the worst pass completion of the team yesterday?
Of the players you typically expect to keep the ball, i think its a possibility yeah.

It was most probably kdb or Alvarez, it usually would be one of them by the nature of their game being different in attempting forward passes and trying to shoot as often as possible.

Grealish gave it away more than Doku on the opposite flank and will be well up there

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.