Atheist mother stops child from going on school religious

Re: Atheist mother stops child from going on school religiou

SWP's back said:
She can do as she wants but this wasn't and isn't news.

I agree.

Parents have been pulling their kids out of religious lessons, assemblies and trips for years.

At my secondary school in the 70s two boys in my class never took part in anything religious, one was a Jehovah's Witness and the other was a very militant atheist from a family where the mum and dad were keen communists and even bought a deathtrap Moskvich Russian car.

When I was a teacher in the 80s and 90s I had pupils who didn't take part in such activities.

I can't see why this woman is news at all.

Damocles said:
SWP's back said:
She can do as she wants but this wasn't and isn't news.

Pretty much this. She can do what she likes but it's daft really of her to deprive her child of the culture and fun social experiences of school trips because she is frightened about "spooky religious brainwashing".

Let the kid go. A visit to a nice Church isn't going to warp it for life

One with priests in? hmmmmmmm

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.27bslash6.com/easter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.27bslash6.com/easter.html</a>

Think this fella might agree with her

Attention seeker. Despite your views, realistically you'd just go along with it.

Parents have always had the right to withdraw their children from collective worship (assemblies) and religious education lessons.
If the visits to religious buildings are secular visits and not involved with RE she has no right of withdrawal at all.

Atheist teacher here.

It's worth pointing out that, in theory, RE is not taught as a means of indoctrination; the world's main religions are meant to be taught objectively. Of course, it doesn't always pan out that way (I'm probably guilty of subtly showing more favour to non-belief).

I'll be happy to let my kids be exposed to the world's religions. And as a parent who cares about my children, I'll discuss religion in depth with them on many occasions, no doubt.

oakiecokie said:
A mother has told a school that her children will not be going on any school trips where they would be attending any religious buildings,as she (the mother) is an atheist,and wants her children to make their own minds up,later on in life.
She already has sent a note barring them from school assembly.
Not certain if it should be the other way around,that the kids attend UNTIL they are old enough to be able to make their own minds up over religion ??
Need a bit more info than that to form an opinion.
1.Any other parents have a problem.
2.Has she done this so as to not appear anti one religion.
3.How many visits.
4.What input have the School Governors had.
5.Any religious pressure on the children other than the "forced"trips.
6.Why the School assembly?is the assembly dominated by religious preaching.
7,Which School?does it have previous?

Classic case or parents or parent forcing their children to express the same views.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.