£20 for a Prawn curry!

Prestwich_Blue

Went out with some of my former colleagues last night to some "nouvelle cuisine" Indian Restaurant in City in London. This was an offshoot of the very trendy Cinnamon Club in Westminster, which is only 5 minutes from Brick Lane, which is the London equivalent of Rusholme.

They had a Stir-fried king prawns, tanjore spices, which looked nice (if a bit steep at £20). When it came, there were 3 (yes, three) king prawns with one of those inverted cup things of rice. It was extremely nice I have to admit and at least I didn't feel bloated as i usually do after a curry but £20 for 3 prawns????

Anyone else had any poncey, over-priced stuff like this?

Prestwich_Blue said:
Went out with some of my former colleagues last night to some "nouvelle cuisine" Indian Restaurant in City in London. This was an offshoot of the very trendy Cinnamon Club in Westminster, which is only 5 minutes from Brick Lane, which is the London equivalent of Rusholme.

They had a Stir-fried king prawns, tanjore spices, which looked nice (if a bit steep at £20). When it came, there were 3 (yes, three) king prawns with one of those inverted cup things of rice. It was extremely nice I have to admit and at least I didn't feel bloated as i usually do after a curry but £20 for 3 prawns????

It would cost you double that in Zurich mate!

Prestwich_Blue said:

Yes.

I had a curry this year at Tamarind in London, the first British Indian restaurant to win a Mitchelin star.

It was incredibly expensive - over £200 for 2 if I remember rightly, and not particularly memorable. Some of the dishes were excellent but some were ordinary. It was over in an hour too.

I've had better curries at quarter the price.

not relating to price but attitude. about 12 years ago i took 10 international clients to dinner at veeraswamy's in london. this is the old established indian restaurant that has been there since the 1920's.

my guests were all game to try an indian meal even if most of them were unfamiliar with indian food. i thought veeraswamy's would be a afe bet because of its location & tradition.

of course with a bunch of curry virgins most had no clue what to order so i thought the best bet would be to order a mix of dishes so everyone could try a variety of food. when i had ordered the first dish & tried to order the second, the waitress asked me who was having the first one. i explained that we would all be sharing she told me snootily that veeraswamy's didn't allow sharing & that everyone would have to order their own dishes.

gobsmacked wasn't the word. if it had been up to me i would have got up & left but i didn't want to trail 10 hungry clients around the centre of london on a friday evening trying to find an alternative restaurant that could accommodate us.

the food was bland & unexciting, the portions small & i felt veeraswamy's was taking the piss on the basis of their (in my opinion) completely overrated reputation. i'm told they do now allow sharing but too late for me as i've never darkened their doors again & never will.

That's ridiculous. They don't allow sharing?

I've never come accross that in all my days and I eat a lot of curry.

Curry is all about sharing. I hope they go out of business.

Gelsons Dad said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

It would cost you double that in Zurich mate!
My bro-inlaw was in Zurich last week and paid £8 for a pint of Guinness..Ouch

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.