£5.25 Aldi wine as good as £3,000 bottle.

If I’m splashing out I’ll have: Bordeaux, Napa Valley or top-end Malbec, but the former is still the King.

Most I’ve spent on a bottle of wine is about £200, and I would say the law of diminishing returns applies after that point. That was an exception though (think it was my birthday) and £100 is normally my limit.

I’m certainly no expert, but usually pick quite well, nearly always choosing one of the above in the £40 to £60 range. Think it’s mainly down to luck tbh.

The headline, however, is totally misleading and underlines why the press in this country is such a fucking joke. The reviewer said this:

So how the fuck can she know it’s “just as good” which is almost certainly isn’t. I expect it’s probably very nice though. You can get some amazing wines for fuck all in Aldi and Lidl.
Some excellent value wines in Aldi/Lidl. There’s a full bodied Shiraz (South African I think ) for about £7 which is lovely. I used travel through Düsseldorf a lot 10-15 years ago and would often pick 2 or 3 bottles of Penfolds Bin 389 at the airport for around £25 each, for Christmas or Birthdays. Looked just before last Christmas…over £300 a bottle now. Crazy.

As a kid, I always imagine red wine was like an alcoholic ‘Vimpto’ ,and white like some sort of fruity lemonade, imagine my surprise when I eventually tried it, thought it was horrible.
Never really got all the ‘fruity bouquet with a hint of rosemary’ thing, I probably just don’t have the palate for it, so wouldn’t ever be able to tell the difference between an expensive one or a cheap one, but over Christmas, a friend bought the Missus a bottle of ‘Pinot Noir’, was a bit thirsty so took a swig (out of the bottle, keepin it real ;-)), and you know what, it was bloody lovely.

Still can’t even sniff white or rose though, 13 bottles of ‘Diamond White’ on my 25th birthday put paid to me ever going near it.

Some excellent value wines in Aldi/Lidl. There’s a full bodied Shiraz (South African I think ) for about £7 which is lovely. I used travel through Düsseldorf a lot 10-15 years ago and would often pick 2 or 3 bottles of Penfolds Bin 389 at the airport for around £25 each, for Christmas or Birthdays. Looked just before last Christmas…over £300 a bottle now. Crazy.
SHIT! I used to buy a bottle of Penfolds form the supermarkets from time to time (see user name :-) ), but I'd have to think twice about £25, but £300 - no way.

I'm off to the Virgin wines tasting at GMEX in a couple of weeks in my never ending quest to find a red wine I like
I am a peasant when it comes to wine, but I enjoy the day. It'll be the fourth time I've visited
Cost around £20 for a ticket and you drink as much as you want for five hours

Last year they had a craft beer and a rum table which was interesting and I spent the last half an hour of the session tasting the beers

When we were on the way home, my daughter asked what I had discovered and I replied that I like beer

SHIT! I used to buy a bottle of Penfolds form the supermarkets from time to time (see user name :-) ), but I'd have to think twice about £25, but £300 - no way.
Penfolds is a great winemaker and you can still get decent bottles at Tesco for £10-£20. They used to call Bin 389 “the Poor Man’s Grange” but I don’t think a poor man could get near it now !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.