11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Of course he can improve a lot on his deficiencies. Age is important I could point out plenty of players who kicked on a lot from 21. It’s important in his case that he’s still new to the league and working with Pep. He’s not particularly quick over 50 yards but his acceleration over a short distance is exceptional and can leave any fullback for dead. He’s got attributes you can’t teach and weaknesses that can definitely be improved upon.

Not having he can’t be comfortable on the right either. As against Villa in one of his very few starts there he was very good. I’m hoping Pep revisits that soon as that Villa game was as well balanced as we’ve looked in a good while with Grealish keeping the width and the ball on the left and Doku able to give us genuine width by going on the outside and able to pick someone out for his assist by being on his strong foot to play the cross in for Rodri. It certainly created much more space for Foden to do his thing in the middle. Agree his first touch could be improved and lately it has been better.
Fwiw, the footage I've seen of Doku,pre City..he has done a lot of damage to left backs,at league and international level,I mean we are talking Rodney Marsh .....make the full back sit down.....however.
The end product was often missing.

Raw talent, he has already shown at The world cup..Pep has much to play with here. A game changer ,and potential ....Superstar.

No idea why but his first touch also seems to have gotten much better in recent weeks? It's like he's simultaneously started to understand both himself and Pep at the same time? Would like to see him from the start in a game and see what he can do but throwing him into games for 30 mins when the opposition RB is knackered is a good strategy for the next few weeks.
No idea why.....

Maybe, 8 months after moving country ,settling down ,understanding different language culture and climate,.,recovery from injury,getting used to a highly skilled tactical approach of our manager,finally understanding the mancunian accent..may be Everything has fallen into place.

No idea why.....

Maybe, 8 months after moving country ,settling down ,understanding different language culture and climate,.,recovery from injury,getting used to a highly skilled tactical approach of our manager,finally understanding the mancunian accent..may be Everything has fallen into place.
I doubt all of that explains why he can suddenly control a ball first time.

I posted very negatively about Doku in the past - only to see him turn in a man-of-the-match performance his very next game.

So here's the thing...
===
Doku can change games, certainly.

But will he ever develop to the point where, once he beats his defender, he can be relied upon to make a crucial pass or to get a good shot on goal?

Or will he only sometimes make the pass, only sometimes get the shot? But too often not? A frustrating figure?

Didn’t Sterling say that Pep taught him how to open his body up with his first touch and teach him to be already on the turn/front foot when receiving the ball? All technical. Something natural in Phil but taught to Raz.
More down body positioning than actual shooting/finishing and overall ball control.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.