18/19 home and away kits ?

I want to disagree.

I really did own UA stock for a brief period, and you can check the stock charts yourself. The movement of UA attire into discount stores in the US was seen by company analysts as a sign of the company's move from premium, high quality, technical clothing to being seen as part and parcel of a wider slump in athleisure clothing in general. While I realize discount store shell suits may be de rigeur on the streets of Manchester (or wherever your observations are taking place) amongst the hirsute classes, nonetheless, the movement of UA from being seen as a premium clothing brand to much of their attire being seen as more of a commodity has concerned everyone from analysts to Kevin Plank himself. However, those details are clearly not as telling or relevant to the discussion as your eagle eye while out perusing the streets.....And, for the record, that last comment was sly snidyness, but it was earned.

And, lest I forget to mention, I realize that the streets of Manchester (or Timbuktu, or wherever) are central to your economic thesis on the issue, but you might want to broaden your scope a tad, especially considering both brands (UA and NKE) are HQ'd in the USA (Maryland & Oregon, respectively) with the vast majority of sales revenues (99.5%?) being outside the confines of the Greater Manchester (or any other single metropolitan) area.

Now, do with that information what you will, but try not to piss on the messenger and the message when they are both accurate, even if facts are not your thing. UA is down from a high of $120 to $20, or 83%, while NKE is down from a high of $67 to $53, or 21%.

Have a lovely weekend!

I'm not diagreeing with your wider analysis, but your comment about UA shell suits in Manchester is completely wide of the mark. I live in Manchester and I've visited New York, Miami, Orlando and LA in the last 18 months, and UA garments in all of those US cities outnumber garments in Manchester by 5 to 1 at least. In Orlando I'd say it's about 15 to 1.

I'd say it's still a brand associated with high quality gym gear in the UK, whereas in the US cities I've been to it's more like every day casual wear. In Orlando I'd say UA garments outnumbered Nike by 3 to 1 at least, but obviously Orlando is the discount sporting apparel capital of the world, so that would fit in with what you're saying.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm saying UA plain garments like t-shirts and hats etc outnumber Nike in those US cities, but overall sales, taking in to account trainers, hoodies, tracksuits etc, UA sales will be a fraction of Nike's overall.

Last edited:
I'm not diagreeing with your wider analysis, but your comment about UA shell suits in Manchester is completely wide of the mark. I live in Manchester and I've visited New York, Miami, Orlando and LA in the last 18 months, and UA garments in all of those US cities outnumber garments in Manchester by 5 to 1 at least. In Orlando I'd say it's about 15 to 1.

I'd say it's still a brand associated with high quality gym gear in the UK, whereas in the US cities I've been to it's more like every day casual wear. In Orlando I'd say UA garments outnumbered Nike by 3 to 1 at least, but obviously Orlando is the discount sporting apparel capital of the world, so that would fit in with what you're saying.

I understand your point. Nike makes shit low end everything. Yes they make "quality" high end" gear but it would be no struggle to find a pair of Nike trainers for $35USD maybe for £24-30 because of VAT. You won't find that with UA.
I'm no stock expert obviously, I'm just a blue collar guy ( feel free to try and hang that over my head) but as I said I pay attention to everyone I pass on a daily basis. It needs to be so. UA outnumbers Nike 2 or 3 to 1 for that type of clothing.

When I go to shopping centres with both Nike and UA the Under Armour store (and Oakley for that matter) are busier than Nike. That being said, if tour buses from East Asia are there Nike is packed. I'm guessing it is a bigger name in China, Korea and Japan.

I understand your point. Nike makes shit low end everything. Yes they make "quality" high end" gear but it would be no struggle to find a pair of Nike trainers for $35USD maybe for £24-30 because of VAT. You won't find that with UA.
I'm no stock expert obviously, I'm just a blue collar guy ( feel free to try and hang that over my head) but as I said I pay attention to everyone I pass on a daily basis. It needs to be so. UA outnumbers Nike 2 or 3 to 1 for that type of clothing.

When I go to shopping centres with both Nike and UA the Under Armour store (and Oakley for that matter) are busier than Nike. That being said, if tour buses from East Asia are there Nike is packed. I'm guessing it is a bigger name in China, Korea and Japan.

Where are you from, mate? Because in the US I'd agree, UA outnumbers Nike comfortably in the cities I mentioned for plain t-shirts, vests hats etc. But in Manchester it's not even close, UA is still very much a minor brand compared to Nike and adidas in Manchester.

We've actually had decent conversations before. Do you remember, "Hands are what kill you,"? But it seems you can't have a discussion where you disagree with another person here without being kind of a dick. What happened?
If you check back, you insinuated I was using "sly snideness" or some such, when I wasn't, I was being self deprecating. I even added the stock prices to let you know it wasn't one of my better investments and noted that your anecdotal observations were not being repeated by those who follow Nike and Under Armour actual sales.

I don't have a problem with anyone until they have a problem with me. Then, I tend to fall back in the facts, especially when they are on my side.

I have no reason to quarrel with anyone on here, because I simply come here to see, read and understand what is often not always self evident to someone who lives elsewhere, but I won't simply ignore it if someone wants to dance.

No worries. We got sideways, but we're fine on my end.

Take care and roll on August!

If you check back, you insinuated I was using "sly snideness" or some such, when I wasn't, I was being self deprecating. I even added the stock prices to let you know it wasn't one of my better investments and noted that your anecdotal observations were not being repeated by those who follow Nike and Under Armour actual sales.

I don't have a problem with anyone until they have a problem with me. Then, I tend to fall back in the facts, especially when they are on my side.

I have no reason to quarrel with anyone on here, because I simply come here to see, read and understand what is often not always self evident to someone who lives elsewhere, but I won't simply ignore it if someone wants to dance.

No worries. We got sideways, but we're fine on my end

Take care and roll on August!

Maybe I misread it and tbf I was checking it in the middle off the night after a trip to the toilet. (I'm getting old! :) ) Nevertheless, no hard feelings on my end and I hope not yours as well.

I don't always agree with you, but often do so by gones are by gones as far as I'm concerned. Take care, mate

That was my attempt at "sly snidyness" after being accused of it!:-) As for Orlando,I think you will find there are more Brits and Brazilians than Americans in most places there.

Since Nike went to their own outlets, they have actually sought to move upmarket with new technology, new products and moving away from the athleisure market. Yes, they do have "off year" deals, because they actually do annualized products, like their AirMax shoes. I have a pair and just recently learned they were 2014s! I had no idea they were like license plates!

UA came on like a storm with their pro heat and cold gear, which was basically skin tight base layers that pro athletes wore depending upon the season. That is still a popular product, but every other manufacturer has moved in on that market, too. Nike Pro is an excellent example. My own son played American football and initially it was all about UA, but then Nike started making the same type of gear and UA no longer had that market cornered and he went back to Nike...and it is all about being current ("on trend") and updating on a regular basis so he has "this year's model!"

If anything, UA has been slow to adapt to the market that Nike appears to have adapted to pretty well. However, tbh, they are both suffering from the move away from athletic clothing being appropriate for every occasion! It looks like Nike is weathering now that better than UA at the moment, but UA is starting to move up, after a significant fall from grace,so it might be time to take another dip in that pool!

I appreciate the evenhanded discussion. FWIW,I was a shell suit guy back in the day...but that day was 30 yrss ago! ;-)

Where are you from, mate? Because in the US I'd agree, UA outnumbers Nike comfortably in the cities I mentioned for plain t-shirts, vests hats etc. But in Manchester it's not even close, UA is still very much a minor brand compared to Nike and adidas in Manchester.

I'm a colonial from the States, neat UA's headquarters but the city I work in is an international city to be sure. I suppose you are correct. Most UA,people I see are probably Yanks. I see a boatload of people on under armour gear. Many, not all, appear to be active people.

My parents in their 60:s (active folks gym golf, etc,) prefer it and I can't get my 2 daughters' even into Nike stuff except City kits. One insists on a Toni Duggan top, the other Steph Houghton. At least they have good taste and are being raised properly. :)

That was my attempt at "sly snidyness" after being accused of it!:-) As for Orlando,I think you will find there are more Brits and Brazilians than Americans in most places there.

Since Nike went to their own outlets, they have actually sought to move upmarket with new technology, new products and moving away from the athleisure market. Yes, they do have "off year" deals, because they actually do annualized products, like their AirMax shoes. I have a pair and just recently learned they were 2014s! I had no idea they were like license plates!

UA came on like a storm with their pro heat and cold gear, which was basically skin tight base layers that pro athletes wore depending upon the season. That is still a popular product, but every other manufacturer has moved in on that market, too. Nike Pro is an excellent example. My own son played American football and initially it was all about UA, but then Nike started making the same type of gear and UA no longer had that market cornered and he went back to Nike...and it is all about being current ("on trend") and updating on a regular basis so he has "this year's model!"

If anything, UA has been slow to adapt to the market that Nike appears to have adapted to pretty well. However, tbh, they are both suffering from the move away from athletic clothing being appropriate for every occasion! It looks like Nike is weathering now that better than UA at the moment, but UA is starting to move up, after a significant fall from grace,so it might be time to take another dip in that pool!

I appreciate the evenhanded discussion. FWIW,I was a shell suit guy back in the day...but that day was 30 yrss ago! ;-)

I have used both Nike and UA baselayer in the winter and Under Armour goes #2 all over Nike as far as comfort and warmth. :)

Maybe I misread it and tbf I was checking it in the middle off the night after a trip to the toilet. (I'm getting old! :) ) Nevertheless, no hard feelings on my end and I hope not yours as well.

I don't always agree with you, but often do so by gones are by gones as far as I'm concerned. Take care, mate
Sadly, I share your nocturnal emission issues, but I try not to post here during them! ;-)

Cheers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.