1966 — Was it over the line? Part II

BufordUSABlue

Manchester>Georgia,USA (via Rochdale & Midlands)
1966 — Was it over the line? Part II

Just so our friends from Hamburg can offer their considered opinion(s) on this!

From a totally unbiased English point-of-view, the ball was indeed 'well' over the line and the linesman on that side confirmed as such and gave the goal............Mr Hursts 'blinder' in the last minute made the argument somewhat moot......when "some people were on the pitch (alledgedly and according to 'Sir Kenneth'!) "they think its all over".........it is now!!" .......yesssssssssssssss :-) !!

Alternative viewpoints from across the water perhaps???

Re: 1966 — Was it over the line? Part II

Now can we try this against without the off-topic references to WWII?

Especially as we've been fortunate to have visitors from Hamburg using this site over the last few weeks, the last thing we need is stupid one-upmanship based on something that happened sixty years ago, and really has nothing to do with Manchester City or HSV. So, keep it 1966 related please.

(Oh I think I mentioned it once, but I may have got away with it...)

Oh and mammutly, I await your new thread about Bluemoon censorship. ;-P

Wheelsy OSC Sydney said:
Now can we try this against without the off-topic references to WWII?

Especially as we've been fortunate to have visitors from Hamburg using this site over the last few weeks, the last thing we need is stupid one-upmanship based on something that happened sixty years ago, and really has nothing to do with Manchester City or HSV. So, keep it 1966 related please.

(Oh I think I mentioned it once, but I may have got away with it...)

Oh and mammutly, I await your new thread about Bluemoon censorship. ;-P

Nice one Wheelsy and you are correct, it did go right off topic did it not, the debate is clear, did the ball cross the line, yes or no.....

Nobody can now be certain, given the relatively poor TV coverage of the time, but a critical point for me is Hunt wheeling away in celebration when he could easily have tapped it in to "make sure".

What is certain is that it was given, just as Germany's "penalty" was given in the Italia 90 final, or Maradonna's "Hand of God" goal; and they were far more obviously poor decisions.

But for me, Hunt's decision, as a great goal poacher himself, not to tap it in is critical evidence on the "yes" side.

worldcup66-england3rdgoal.png

doesnt look like it!

maybe the Russian liner gave it as he didnt want extra time!

I have never thought it was over the line. I can't imagine it bothers the Germans too much, though. We only have one WC, with home advantage, and a disputed goal. It's a somewhat underwhelming record.

Saw the final on a b/w telly and no way to tell but months later went to see the film of the World Cup at the cinema in colour, you have to remember when this was, amazing to watch I remember and the ball was clearly over the line. Have never seen the film since or that particular camera shot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.