2 in the wall

theholyswan

So as we sift through the wreckage of Tuesday nights game i just thought I would mention something that I saw just before the freekick goal went in.

Joe Hart was clearly screaming at the wall asking for 2 people to stand there. He even did the 2 symbol with his hand. I know its all ifs and buts, but if we would have had 2 in that wall chances are they wouldn't have gone for the shot.

Just wondering if it was only me (and my dad) that noticed that.

Nevermind Bayern were the better team!

I also saw that. Just don't understand why the whole team didn't function at that time. They were in pieces. Poor hart almost devastated.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Defending of a quality that we have been used to over the decades at CoMS and Maine Road. Just hope it's a blip, but why do we have these in the most important matches?
Because we din't have the caliber of players on defense that we think we do. Our defense is grossly inferior to any other department.

It's not quality, for goodness sakes. The back four might not be the most technical players but they have seen out countless clean sheets under adversity. It's organisation. No one is paying attention. Last year, there is no way that happens. We made a few mistakes but last night, for the first goal alone, there were five. And they came on the back of some really sloppy play.

Kompany and Hart have lost control of the team. We score a few goals and suddenly it's as if Silva, Aguero and Dzeko are in charge. It doesn't work like that. It starts with the goalkeeper and captain organising the back four. Every other position and gap must be set relative to them. They almost perfected this last year, but individuals who weren't part of that are off doing their own thing. Yaya has eased off, maybe even Silva is paying less attention. They very much need a dominant character to reign them in.

Going from tunnel cam and the matches, I can hardly see or hear Kompany organising. I worry that he's overawed. There's no reason for him to feel that way. Maybe he needs to recruit others, organise a little cabal. I love that Hart has been very vocal, but the new boys look bored when he's talking. The cheeky twats. Keep going Joe, it's more your club than theirs, and you won more last year than any of them.

Around 15 years ago (when I was at my fighting weight!) my pub team tried a new tactic of no wall for free kicks around the area. It worked out alright & we didn't let in a single goal all season from a directly taken free kick.
The look on the oppositions faces when they lined up to take a kick was brilliant. With no wall to bend it around the goalie had a clear view of the ball all the way. The opposition started to use their own players to make a wall to shield the flight of the ball leaving us with the obvious man advantage.
Next season, new manager & captain, old tactics, more goals conceded.

Silvercloud said:
Around 15 years ago (when I was at my fighting weight!) my pub team tried a new tactic of no wall for free kicks around the area. It worked out alright & we didn't let in a single goal all season from a directly taken free kick.
The look on the oppositions faces when they lined up to take a kick was brilliant. With no wall to bend it around the goalie had a clear view of the ball all the way. The opposition started to use their own players to make a wall to shield the flight of the ball leaving us with the obvious man advantage.

Personally, as a keeper, I always preferred not to have a wall taking the view that if I could not stop a shot from that distance, seeing it all the way, I shouldn't be in goal.

BlueTony said:
Silvercloud said:

Personally, as a keeper, I always preferred not to have a wall taking the view that if I could not stop a shot from that distance, seeing it all the way, I shouldn't be in goal.

I understand the point, however, against better quality players they will score a lot more goals with no wall, as they can place it accurately on a consistent basis..... unlike the majority of pub players. We should have had 2 in the wall, which reduces (in theory) the area the ball can be played into. You will still concede goals over the season, but these should be because of good free kicks and forward play, not he sloppy defending we saw on Tuesday. Problem wasn't the lack of defenders in the box, it was the way they reacted, or didn't, that caused the problems.

Dax777 said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Defending of a quality that we have been used to over the decades at CoMS and Maine Road. Just hope it's a blip, but why do we have these in the most important matches?
Because we din't have the caliber of players on defense that we think we do. Our defense is grossly inferior to any other department.

Agree with this. Our defence looks a lot lot stronger with a fit De Jong in front of it. Replace him with a tired looking Barry and Yaya, and Kolo with virtually no match practice for 6 months, and against top euro opposition, its not surprising at all that we lost.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.