20 years ago today - Bury, Makin & City!

Gary James

Today is the twentieth anniversary of one of the lows - a 1-0 defeat by Bury at Maine Road in 1998 which made us realise that a relegation to the club's lowest ever level was possible. Shareholder David Makin of JD sports made a memorable call to BBC Radio Manchester about the desperate plight and the club was in free fall. A fan ran on the pitch ripped up his season ticket and sat on the pitch. A terrible, terrible day. Now that City have moved onwards and upwards, here's a clip on that season:

At least we have something positive these days.

I remember David came to one our P&W meetings unanounced and Jimmy Wagg interviewd him on stage it was one of those Wow moments .is this really happening ?

Ha ha, I recognise the lad giving out some stick at 0.06 on that vid, he's still a regular home and away now.

And IIRC wasn't the Bury goal was scored by a City fan, Paul Butler, who moved on to Sunderland and was seen celebrating with other Blues in town after the Blackburn promotion match two years later?

Wow, takes you back. I remember that 5-2 against Stoke which counted for nothing. Typical City. Bernstein did a great job steadying the ship and Joe was a really good manager.

20 years later.....20 years older......20 years happier!

Sorry, cannot go along with Royle being a good manager.

I've got a transcription of Makin's call somewhere. Will have a look. Can you believe that a shareholder of the club tried to oust the chairman that way? Fair play to Makin, because it did work.

I remember getting in to a scrap with a United supporting lad a few days after that Stoke match as he kept going on and on about how “we would never get back near them” and “he was glad to see our **** club where it belonged”. Nearly got a suspension over it.

I would say I’d like to have a chat with him now... but I’m not sure I can stomach a visit to the KFC.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.