20 years ago today. One of the best comebacks of all time

One of the greatest FA Cup comebacks of modern times.

This fixture has such a special meaning to me as my lad Harvey-James, 9 months old at the time was fighting for his life at a nearby London hospital as he battled meningococcal septicaemia, a deadly form of meningitis, I'd barley left his side for almost two weeks and had a ticket for the game, some friends had offered to pick me up from the hospital and drop me back afterwards but I couldn't leave his side so decided not to go.

I watched as the scores flicked up on my mobile(Nokia6410) phone and remember thinking to myself as the Spurs goals went in “Thanks City, you couldn't even give me a result to lift my mood". So what followed was simply fantastic which gave me a massive boost at the time.

Harvey, then went on to stage his very own remarkable comeback as he made an almost full recovery, Despite amputations to his hands and feet he's the bubbly character you’ll see by my side on most match days and turns 21 next month.

It really felt like at the time that result was sent from above to cheer us up...Typical City !!!

View attachment 106069
Brilliant brilliant post CS

Just got goosebumps watching that again.

Listened to it on GMR with my Dad. So utterly deflated at half time and cursing Keegan (and Barton).

Danced around his tiny living room when the 3rd and 4th goals went in.

I found the following post from 4 years ago, replying to City=Shirts about his son.

Lovely post once again and enjoyed reading your previous posts on what is a special anniversary for you, and in football terms for other blues.
I was there with a good mate and his son both spurs fans, we stayed in for 20 mins after the game, just watching the replays of all the goals. I know sky zoomed in on my friends and couldnt understand why they looked so miserable, little did they know eh.
As for me when Macken scored i lept over all the seats and ran down to the front ( more agile in those days) picture captured in the sporting life. I think a blue won 25 grand that night 500/1 at three nil down.
I also remember a text from my then girlfriend and i quote...... 'goodnight darling, I hope you had a good night even though they lost'. Now this text was sent about 9pm giving me the impression she went to bed early, however I later discovered she was out with an ex BF.... maybe she went to bed early with him !! Annette from Maidenhead where are you now? lol ....happy days !

I took the day off to go and had overnight hotel booked. Then the flight was cancelled. I just had time for the train, but at the risk of that being late and the hotel being fully cancellable anyway, I chose to just not bother. I also missed one league game in 1987 - the 10-1 v Huddersfield. And, I had a ticket for York away but was ill so gave it away. There is a pattern here

A bloke had left the pub at half time and asked me the final score as I walked home. I don’t think he believed me.

Didn’t we lose the round after that fantastic comeback with 1-0 to Forest or something of the sort?

Checked and saw it was Rags loss 4-2. Had completely forgotten/repressed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.