24 | Joško Gvardiol - 2023/24

• Thread starter BrazilianGus
  • Start date
He cost what he did because of his performances at centre back. He‘s a better centre back than Aké but not very good as a left back, because that’s not his position.

I think when availability and fitness allow we should start this as our first choice back four every league and CL game. Defenders need consistency and getting used to each other’s positions as a back four. Gvardiol is clearly a centre back. Dias has been poor this season and needs time on the bench unless Stones is unavailable.
RB CB CB LB
Walker Stones Gvardiol Aké

I dont even think he would be bad at LB in a more standard team albeit not a natural one. LB in current City set up is about spending almost more time on opponent half and having huge space behind you and offer width in attacks even if just by standing at the byline and not involved too much. not really a wingback as a wingback would really hug the touchline and play crosses, one twos etc. but this role is still closer to a wingback role than a standard LB role.

originally I thought we either bed him in as a CB or we try to do with him what Stones did in the hybrid role. to use him as an offensive LB is a bit of a Pep tinkering.

funnily this role would be great for someone like Cancelo or Zinchenko.

I dont even think he would be bad at LB in a more standard team albeit not a natural one. LB in current City set up is about spending almost more time on opponent half and having huge space behind you and offer width in attacks even if just by standing at the byline and not involved too much. not really a wingback as a wingback would really hug the touchline and play crosses, one twos etc. but this role is still closer to a wingback role than a standard LB role.

yes Josko is playing a wingback role without wingback skillset (crossing and overlap run). So it looks very odd on that side. I wonder when that wonderkid Barco comes, will we see Barco as wingback and Josko in CB position?

I guess that it is the way Pep tris to solve the left 8 problem. Grealish is actually playing Bernado role in 21/22 season as a left 8 plus some left winger responsibilities. Bernado has to be on the right wing because god know why Tikki sold 2 right wingers and bought a left winger instead.

Really not Josko's fault. Let's buy a real left back and put this behind.

yes Josko is playing a wingback role without wingback skillset (crossing and overlap run). So it looks very odd on that side. I wonder when that wonderkid Barco comes, will we see Barco as wingback and Josko in CB position?

I guess that it is the way Pep tris to solve the left 8 problem. Grealish is actually playing Bernado role in 21/22 season as a left 8 plus some left winger responsibilities. Bernado has to be on the right wing because god know why Tikki sold 2 right wingers and bought a left winger instead.

Really not Josko's fault. Let's buy a real left back and put this behind.

Doku had played most of his football on the right before he came to City, he might go back there when we have him and Jack fit and in form at the same time.

originally I thought we either bed him in as a CB or we try to do with him what Stones did in the hybrid role. to use him as an offensive LB is a bit of a Pep tinkering.

Even if we used him in the exact same role we did Ake last season (basically a LCB of a three) he would be fine imo.

Spot on. If the system requires the left back to play as a winger then just go all in and play Gomez.

Shades of Franco Baresi when it comes to marauding forwards from cb. Great to see him in his natural position for the first time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.