25ys ago today Manchester's forgotten IRA bomb.

Was speaking about this recently and it just doesn't register with me, There was a lot of IRA activity around that time. The 96 bomb sticks in my mind more as it was the day England played Scotland, And it was the biggest mainland bomb ever. More often than not they gave a coded warning to give the police time to move civilians. Certainly Warrington didn't happen like that. I think that was one of the many catalysts for change
I do remember the first in manchester, but i can tell you all a story about the first bomb in warrington, i owned with my partner a indoor karting track in warrington, cant remember what day of the week it was but i left 9pm ish and told my partner to put the money in my briefcase in the safe as there was 5k in it, we had my partners brother staying in one of the offices as he and his wife had split up so he is fast asleep and about 2am he is blown out of his bed the dirty bastards had planted 3 bombs 2 on gas cylinders the same as at the end of the carparks at the etihad and one on another type which is about 100 foot long and about 15 foot round very fortunatly that did not go off as it would of gone off like a torpedo into a housing estate, anyway the one off the bombs took the top off one cylinder that went over the train line and landed in a scrap yard, the other blew a hole near the top of the cylinder about 2 foot wide and because of the presure inside it just was like a giant blow touch, anyway jef the lad staying at the unit runs out gets in his car and comes to my house its about 2.15am by then he is banging on my door so i gets up and hes in a panic about whats happend so i calms him down and phones his brother to tell him whats happened so i then asked him did he put the money in the safe to which he says no i forgot, so i jumps in my car flys down to the business park and there are road blocks everywhere but NO police as they where all out trying to find the bombers, so i drives round barriers and gets to the edge of the business park and it looks like a war zone fires everywhere and this massive hole in the tank gushing lit gas just to add our unit was 20 feet from the tank that went up, so i says fuck it and flies down to the unit runs in grabs the briefcase and gets the fuck out of there, very scarry, the reason there where no police around is they had found the bombers and where chasing them around warrington, there plan was to set them off the next day but a police officer stopped them in the town center and they shot him, they pulled a gun and as he ran off they shot him in the arse and it came out of his knee ( ouch ) after which they set the bombs off, anyway they got them on the M62 well they got 2 one got away the dogs chased them across a field and got 2 of them, i know these details as the guy next door at home was CID and told me.
So because these 2 got caught is the reason they put the bombs in the bins on bridge street on that saturday afternoon when the kids where shopping for mothers day, which if i remember right was derby day at ours i remember because when i got back to the car and hearing the news i felt sick as my kids where going to town to buy mothers day stuff, thankfully they did not go, anyway thats my story hope to of not wasted your time with it.

Peace agreement or whatever, I strongly believe that a bullet in the head is the least any single one of the IRA members or supporters deserve. A huge injustice that they can now walk the streets with no fear of justice itself. Top o the morning my arse.

I remember often getting in on a Saturday afternoon with my Dad scrambling to get teletext on for footy and in the background very often you would hear about a bomb or the threat of one in or around Manchester. I sort of accepted that was life and stopped paying much attention to it. The words "IRA" and "bomb" were a constant as far as i can remember in the news.

This individual bombing my parents remember but i can't recall it.

I do remember the first in manchester, but i can tell you all a story about the first bomb in warrington, i owned with my partner a indoor karting track in warrington, cant remember what day of the week it was but i left 9pm ish and told my partner to put the money in my briefcase in the safe as there was 5k in it, we had my partners brother staying in one of the offices as he and his wife had split up so he is fast asleep and about 2am he is blown out of his bed the dirty bastards had planted 3 bombs 2 on gas cylinders the same as at the end of the carparks at the etihad and one on another type which is about 100 foot long and about 15 foot round very fortunatly that did not go off as it would of gone off like a torpedo into a housing estate, anyway the one off the bombs took the top off one cylinder that went over the train line and landed in a scrap yard, the other blew a hole near the top of the cylinder about 2 foot wide and because of the presure inside it just was like a giant blow touch, anyway jef the lad staying at the unit runs out gets in his car and comes to my house its about 2.15am by then he is banging on my door so i gets up and hes in a panic about whats happend so i calms him down and phones his brother to tell him whats happened so i then asked him did he put the money in the safe to which he says no i forgot, so i jumps in my car flys down to the business park and there are road blocks everywhere but NO police as they where all out trying to find the bombers, so i drives round barriers and gets to the edge of the business park and it looks like a war zone fires everywhere and this massive hole in the tank gushing lit gas just to add our unit was 20 feet from the tank that went up, so i says fuck it and flies down to the unit runs in grabs the briefcase and gets the fuck out of there, very scarry, the reason there where no police around is they had found the bombers and where chasing them around warrington, there plan was to set them off the next day but a police officer stopped them in the town center and they shot him, they pulled a gun and as he ran off they shot him in the arse and it came out of his knee ( ouch ) after which they set the bombs off, anyway they got them on the M62 well they got 2 one got away the dogs chased them across a field and got 2 of them, i know these details as the guy next door at home was CID and told me.
So because these 2 got caught is the reason they put the bombs in the bins on bridge street on that saturday afternoon when the kids where shopping for mothers day, which if i remember right was derby day at ours i remember because when i got back to the car and hearing the news i felt sick as my kids where going to town to buy mothers day stuff, thankfully they did not go, anyway thats my story hope to of not wasted your time with it.

scary story, i remember your go-kart place just behind Mr Smiths on the industrial. But again i dont remember the earlier bombs in Warrington just the main one on the Saturday.
As someone says below it was normal back then to hear IRA and Bomb !

Not a waste of time at all.
I knew something had happened in Warrington as a train I was scheduled to work from Manchester to Wakefield had been held outside Warrington and they wouldn't let it through until the area was safe and secure. We left Manchester about 2 hours late eventually.
Thanks for adding your story.

I was in my car stuck in traffic on Dantzic Street when the 96 bomb went off, probably only about 200 yards from it

I swear the car left the floor and glass, rubble was falling down all around me from buildings

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.