28 years ago today

speccybob

Just been tweeted by someone I follow on twitter

11th May 1985. We went to a game at Maine Road and came home to celebrate.

56 Bradford City fans were not that fortunate that same day. RIP

I was only 5 and oblivious to this tragedy. RIP

very very strange day. i remember the live commentary of the fire. the disbelief, the panic.
have watched footage since too, and wondered if i,d have been one of the fans who saw the fire early and got out the way/on the pitch..or if i,d have been one who was pissed up,didn,t realize owt was happening till it was too late and....

went back there in 89 when we went up. sat in their main stand,looking across and couldn,t stop thinking about the fans who had perished.

sad sad day.

A terrible tragedy. I remember seeing it on the news, the sight of people running with their clothes and hair on fire is still with me today.

Puts recent events into perspective.

RIP

I was at Maine Road that day too -Paul Simpson had a good day I recall and the Kippax was so packed my shortarsed Dad only saw the ball when it was in the air !! The tragedy that unfolded that day just overwhelmed what was a great day for us and as has been said puts all lifes ups into context.

And one for the youngsters - this pre-dates mobile telephony, 24 hour rolling news, Twitter etc -my sister half heard a report of a massive fire at "city" and that there were deaths. In those days they had to wait for us to bowl up the path to know we weren't involved in it all. In fact from recollection I think what we got off the car radio was fairly patchy info until we got in to watch the news ( on one of the 4 tv channels )

Was a tragic event . Thoughts go out to those that lost their lives .<br /><br />-- Sat May 11, 2013 12:41 pm --<br /><br />Iv seen the footage a number of times and always wonder how do many died and didn't get to safety begire the fire spread so much .

BlueHalli said:
Was a tragic event . Thoughts go out to those that lost their lives .

-- Sat May 11, 2013 12:41 pm --

Iv seen the footage a number of times and always wonder how do many died and didn't get to safety begire the fire spread so much .

When there is a fire in a house / building etc, the majority of people will look to leave the area the way they came in.
So the people at the back / middle of the stand went back down the steps and under the stand (where the fire was!) to get to the exit gates. Only the exit gates were locked... by then it was too late, they couldn't turn back due to the heat / smoke and hundreds of other people following behind them. :(

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
BlueHalli said:
Was a tragic event . Thoughts go out to those that lost their lives .

-- Sat May 11, 2013 12:41 pm --

Iv seen the footage a number of times and always wonder how do many died and didn't get to safety begire the fire spread so much .

When there is a fire in a house / building etc, the majority of people will look to leave the area the way they came in.
So the people at the back / middle of the stand went back down the steps and under the stand (where the fire was!) to get to the exit gates. Only the exit gates were locked... by then it was too late, they couldn't turn back due to the heat / smoke and hundreds of other people following behind them. :(

This is why whenever I get on an airplane I note where the primary and secondary exits are. Do this even if you think the safety demos are complete bullshit....

Remember it well. Fantastic day at Maine Road and then back to my mum's to see it all unfolding on the news. Very sad for all those at the Bradford game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.